Re: [telecom] What are "Short Code concatenated messages"?

>I searched Google for a definition of the term, "Short Code

>>concatenated messages" but could only find references to the service >>issue mentioned in the Sun, 21 Apr 2019 Telecom Digest. > >Short Code SMS messages are premium numbers, shorter than the normal >10 digit phone numbers, that you can SMS a text message to; like >"text 12345 to give $5 now to blah blah blah." > >The Wikipedia article on SMS has a section devoted to them (under >Premium-rated short messages). > >The 'Concatenated SMS' part is as you suspect. > >I'm sure its only an outage notice out because companies pay for this >service above what the unwashed masses do.

Not all services support short codes.

I am currently using Callcentric. They do not officially support them. They clearly stated this when they started offering the service.

But I found that while I could not send messages to short codes, I did receive a number of messages from them over Callcentric SMS services.

That is a good thing since a lot of Web sites (especially financial sites) are using two factor authentication for security. The text messages they send for this purpose come from short codes.

Example: When logging onto a Web site, they text a message that gives you an authentication code to enter on the Web site to complete your log in. They send you this after entering your user name and password [so you can enter it into a subsequent login prompt on your Web site]. Most of you have experienced this.

When I previously tried to send messages to short codes, they would bounce.

But I just tried tweeting one to [short code removed - bh]. It actually replied to me. So perhaps they've since implemented it and not said anything about it.

Regards,

Fred

+--------------------------------------------------------------+ Who is John Galt?
Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.