Re: [Telecom] AT&T phone books

In a message dated Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:22:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com_ (mailto: snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com) writes-

Many people do not have a computer at all. Others may have one but it > is not always available or is used for specialized purposes and the > user isn't familiar with search options. As mentioned, dial up users > may find certain processes too slow since they bloat down their > responses with ads. There are a variety of search options out there > and a lay user would not know which are good and which are scum.
[ ... ]

As it happened, I needed to use the telephone book yesterday to get a

> listing. Given search engine issues it was the fastest way to go. > Further, I had already shut down my computer for the day.

Many searches are more easily carried out from a printed list, especially if the exact name or spelling is not known. I had to make two such searches this morning and used the printed directory for that reason. There are other search issues, too. Several months ago, using yellowpages.com, I was looking to see if a hotel or motel (name known) still existed in a small place. It returned 183 listings, many of them 800 numbers and many others 100 miles or more away. Using the instruction to search the listed place only, I got the same 183 listings. None of the listings presented in either search were in the place I was searching for. An additional point is that the printed directories must be widely used or they would not be so profitable as to encourage several publishers to produce them for the same area, and for all of them to advertise them widely on television and in newspapers.. The directories, as is the case of many productions, are supported by advertising revenue. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes
formatting link
Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.