Dial-1 and 800 provider for low volume user? [Telecom]

For several years I have had the long distance service for my house in upstate NY, the family beach house in NJ and two toll-free numbers provided by ECG. Their service is fine but their rates are kind of high and they have a lot of nuisance fees, notably a $5 low usage fee when my total bill is under $10 which it is about half the time. We are in what's known as a Tier 3 area, a rural non-Bell telco, which a lot of low cost LD companies won't serve. The beach house is VZ territory, no problem there.

The bills fluctuate a lot, notably the beach house has a $0 bill for eight months of the year, and about $25 when people are there in the summer. One toll-free number terminates here, [and the other] one at my sister's house in another Tier 3 area in Vermont.

I'm looking for someone else who will provide good service at lower cost, without so many nuisance fees. Any suggestions? Poking around on the net I found a company in Maine called Pioneer Telephone that looks promising with reasonable Tier 3 rates of 3.3 cpm and no monthly minimum if I get billed online. Anyone use them?

R's, John

PS: I'm NOT looking for dialaround, VoIP, calling cards, Skype, Magicjack, or anything else. I need something that will work when my wife picks up the phone and calls her mother, or my daughter calls home on the 800 number because she forgot her wallet. They're perfectly able to use all that other stuff, but they has better things to worry about and my wife would think it silly to have to do funky stuff just to save 1.5 cents/min.

Reply to
John R. Levine
Loading thread data ...

We have been satisfied with the service provided by OneSuite.com Ref:

formatting link

Reply to
Sidney Zafran

Unless I'm missing something, onesuite is dialaround.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

I use Kall8 which is $2/month for 866/877/888 numbers and $5/month for genuine 800 numbers. 6 cents/minute for calls directed in the US or Canada. Other rates to forward to other international destinations. Service only works in the US. Also $2 to activate 866/877/888 and $5 for 800 numbers.

Reply to
Joseph Singer

In Joseph Singer writes: [snip]

A second vote for Kall8. They're not the absolute cheapest, but they are competitive and....

.... and, they've got a superb web interface which gives you full, realtime, control of your number.

So, for example, you can tell it to forward your calls to your cellphone during the day, and your home at 5 pm, and then over the weekend to your brother-in-law's.

You can also pick and choose, down to the local level, where to accept calls from. So if you don't want to be bothered by wrong numbers (or worse, see [a]) from Texas and Virginia, you can block them out.

As an aside, if you're using a personal toll free number, you're probably best off getting an "877" prefix. That way you're less likely to be bothered by misdialings. [a] FCC regulations mandate that the "owner" (or "carrier") for a toll free number "kick back" something like 50 cents if the call originates at a "pay phone". So... there are people who, yes, will sit at the pay phone in the laundromat and call out to them. Each of those calls to your number costs you (after the pass through, etc.) a dollar or so. (Exact numbers depend on the carrier, etc.).

Reply to
danny burstein

I'm familiar with them and they seem swell, but they don't offer dial-1 service, do they?

R's, John

PS: Is it just me or has reading comprehension plummeted in recent years?

***** Moderator's Note *****

It's just you.

Reply to
John Levine

I've used them for years and am very satisfied with them. In my area they're a reseller of Global Crossing.

Reply to
John David Galt

I've used Pioneer in the past as well and was very pleased with them.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.