Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] cellular telco region with lowest "911" and other gov't fees?
Given the increasing use of "two factor authorization" which sends a "good for five minutes" password via sms text to your phone, plus lots of other reasons to have a textable cell phone that's NOT my...

FCC Chair Ajit Pai announces plan to eliminate Title II [telecom]
FCC Chair Ajit Pai announces plan to eliminate Title II net neutrality rules Vote to begin net neutrality rollback scheduled for May 18. By Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica, 4/26/2017 The Federal...

F.C.C. Chairman Pushes Sweeping Changes to Net Neutrality Rules [telecom]
F.C.C. Chairman Pushes Sweeping Changes to Net Neutrality Rules WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission on Wednesday outlined a sweeping plan to loosen the government's...

New Jersey's plan to aid ailing 911 system: Expand the tax [telecom]
reported that Governor Chris Christie plans to push for an additional $13 million for upgrading the state's archaic 911 system by expanding the tax that state residents have already paid $1.37 billion...

History: General Telephone and Sylvania merger, 1958 [telecom]
Most of thought of the former "independent" General Telephone & Electronics (GTE) as the owner of Sylvania, which made various electronic products. Indeed, it often advertised itself as GTE-Sylvania....

Verizon CEO considering merger options [telecom]
Bloomberg News reported that Verizon Communications Inc. is considering merger possibilities to reset the course of the company given the fast-changing structure of the industry, and would be open to...

Verizon vacates Philadelphia's Bell Atlantic tower, rival Comcast takes the space [telecom]
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that telecom giant Verizon is poised to vacate the Center City office tower built for its predecessor company, Bell Atlantic Corp., where rival Comcast has become...

Anthem to data breach victims: Maybe the damages are your own darned fault [telecom]
Anthem to data breach victims: Maybe the damages are your own darned fault Hacked insurer seeks forensic exams of personal computers used by customers seeking damages

Internet pioneer Robert Taylor dies [telecom]
One of the founding fathers of the internet, Robert Taylor, has died. While working at the Pentagon in the 1960s, he instigated the creation of Arpanet - a computer network that initially linked...

MAC randomization: A massive failure that leaves phone open to tracking [telecom]
Security flaws smash worthless privacy protection Analysis To protect mobile devices from being tracked as they move through Wi-Fi-rich environments, there's a technique known as MAC address...

Hands On With Samsung's Galaxy S8 and S8+: Taller Screens and Slimmer Bezels [telecom]
Samsung officially unveiled the latest Galaxy devices at its Unpacked event in New York today. Previous Galaxy phones were part Porsche 911 Carrera, with an easily recognizable curvaceous style, and...

T-Mobile dominates spectrum auction, will boost LTE network across US [telecom]
T-Mobile USA was the biggest winner in an auction that shifted licenses in the 600MHz spectrum band from TV broadcasters to the cellular industry. T-Mobile will pay $7.99 billion for 1,525 licenses...

Microsoft officially ends support for a bunch of Windows phones [telecom]
By Peter Bright Microsoft has just released a couple of new Windows Insider builds for people on the fast ring, one for PC and one for mobile. The builds are surprisingly divergent. For PC, the build...

I'm looking for an used Verizon-capable cell phone [telecom]
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy SCH-I405 on Verizon's network for the last couple of years: it was a gift from my brother (Thanks, Tom!). This morning, I picked my trousers up of the bureau, and...

Spectrum Auction: TV's New Exit Price Plummets to $10B [telecom]
By John Eggerton TV broadcasters in stage 4 of the reverse portion of the FCC's incentive auction have set a new price for clearing off their TV spectrum: $10,054,676,822. That is a huge drop from the...