Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

AT&T: Five Scary Charts To Take Seriously [telecom]
Summary * We are moving away from our news coverage segments to instead focus on more detailed analyses, original insights. * Everyone mentions the AT&T debt, but no one really analyzes it. * We...

CenturyLink Moves Closing Date for $34B Level 3 Acquisition to October [telecom]
By Jane Edwards CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) has pushed back the projected closing date for its pending $34 billion acquisition of Level 3 Communications (NYSE: LVLT) through a cash-and-stock transaction...

Robocalls driving you nuts? A proposed law has a remedy [telecom]
In a spirit of optimism and it-can't-be-that-bad face-palming, here's info on a law that might offer some relief. - - - - - - You'd think phone and cable companies would be doing everything possible...

Robocalls may be too far along to stop [telecom]
I have some bad news: robocalls may be too far along in their business model to stop. Consider this site, which offers 1-cent-per-call pricing: ... and that's just for civilians. The big players have...

Android Toast Overlay Attack: "Cloak and Dagger" with No Permissions [telecom]
Android Toast Overlay Attack: "Cloak and Dagger" with No Permissions Palo Alto Networks Unit 42 researchers have uncovered a high severity vulnerability in the Android overlay system, which allows a...

Verizon gives away cool freebies, as long as you give away your privacy [telecom]
By David Lazarus Would you give up your privacy for a shot at free concert tickets, Uber rides or Apple Music tunes? Verizon is betting the answer is yes. The telecom giant has unveiled a new loyalty...

Verizon's nixing some cell service in rural Montana has locals scared about emergencies [telecom]
By Kristen Inbody, Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune Some rural Montana residents are learning they'll soon be without cell phone service after Verizon Wireless quietly informed them they're dropping them....

Verizon Is Booting 8,500 Rural Customers Over Data Use, Including Some on 'Unlimited' Plans [telecom]
By Tom McKay Verizon has decided to abruptly cut off wireless internet to some 8,500 rural customers in 13 states, saying their heavy data use had made it impossible to profit off of the accounts -...

Verizon gets OK to abandon printed phone books for Pa. landline customers [telecom]
The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission approved an order on Aug. 31 allowing Verizon to discontinue saturation deliveries of yellow pages and business white pages phone books. The regulatory...

RoboCaller now Showing Legitimate Numbers in CallerID [telecom]
Starting about two weeks ago, some of the robo calls I receive are showing real, working numbers. As a routine matter, I submit these calls to and they block any further calls from that number for...

With a $1,000 Price Tag, Apple's iPhone Crosses a Threshold [telecom]
With a $1,000 Price Tag, Apple's iPhone Crosses a Threshold SAN FRANCISCO - When Apple unveils its new top-of-the-line iPhone on Tuesday, it isn't just expected to offer features like infrared facial...

bunnie Huang and Ed Snowden describe a malware-resistant hardware Iphone privacy overlay [telecom]
In an engineering paper, bunnie Huang and Ed Snowden describe a malware-resistant hardware Iphone privacy overlay In July 2016, Andrew "bunnie" Huang and Edward Snowden presented their research on...

'Game of Thrones' was pirated more than a billion times -- far more than it was watched legally [telecom]
"Game of Thrones" was pirated more than a billion times - far more than it was watched legally. ***** Moderator's Note ***** I don't see why: I had a 30-day trial of HBO last year, and I watched about...

Reply All podcast on some very strange phone calls [telecom]
#104 The Case of the Phantom Caller September 7, 2017 A woman in New Jersey is getting strange phone calls to her office eavesdropping on the life of a different stranger. Unsure what else to do, she...

Forget Wall Street - Silicon Valley is the new political power in Washington [telecom]
Forget Wall Street - Silicon Valley is the new political power in Washington It used to be banks, but now it is tech giants that dominate the US lobbying industry. Can money buy them what they want:...