My m0n0wall was hacked

I have a home network and am currently using m0n0wall for the firewall. We have VPN enabled. The firewall has been broken into by a hacker known to us as Neo. He leaves messages taunting us on the status page of the m0n0wall web-based configuration site. Once on our network, Neo opens up the microphone on my laptop and eavesdrops. This same hacker used to break into our Linksys router when we had one. He evenutally "bricked" the Linksys router. He's been with us on and off for two years. I need help. I feel like I've tried everything. You can hear my whole story at talkshoe.com. It's Hacker in the House in the Technology section. If anyone is an expert I would appreciate an email, or better, a call into the show to discuss what we can do to find out how Neo breaks in and how to stop him. Also, I have posted some sniffer data of one of Neo's attacks in my group here in Google Groups beta "Hacker in the House".

Reply to
Sitting Duck
Loading thread data ...

That VPN thing tells me that you don't know how VPN works. VPN is only valid when there are two valid VPN endpoints. A device such as a router that has VPN enabled or VPN server software running on a computer is one valid VPN endpoint.

The other valid endpoint would be with another router that has VPN enabled or software running on a client machine running VPN client software, which should match the server VPN software, like AT&T's Extranet as an example, that's the kind of VPN software I have used. That's hardware to hardware VPN or server software to client software VPN solutions.

You having VPN enabled really means nothing in your case as none of your clients are using VPN. The VPN protocol rides on the TCP/IP protocol and encrypts the data between two valid VPN endpoints, so that the data cannot be eavesdropped on, just like a Web server and a browser running on a client machine are using HTTPS in a secure browser session with a site.

VPN does not ensure that a network is unhackable.

I went to your site. To be honest, I don't think the hacker came past the Linksys or m0n0wall. Since you have a Web server exposed to the Internet, it's most likely not secured and the Web applications running on the Web server are not secure applications that are facing the Internet.

I think that's where the hacker is coming in on is the Web server. And to be very frank about it, if you're the one who has setup the Web server and your network, then you don't know about the security issues of protecting a machine running a Web Server and the Web applications running on the server to face the Internet, nor the network, and apply the solutions.

One thing you can do is secure the Web server, the O/S, File system, etc, etc and the Web applications to face the Internet and put the machine into the DMZ facing the Internet, the unprotected zone. You put your LAN where your laptop is at into a protected zone.

You ever hear of a Honey Pot?

Long

formatting link
Short

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Also, I would assume the laptop is running a Windows NT based O/S like Win 2K or XP.

Obviously, the hacker has some kind of backdoor software installed on it that's giving the hacker control of the machine. I suggest you wipe out the laptop.

Long

formatting link
Short
formatting link
You should secure the NT base O/S as much as possible, in your case.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Seems to be a Matrix-Fan ;-)

Well, maybe your firewall has been "broken". More likely there was a Windoze box behind it, which was openend through malware, for example.

Because your net is compromized now, you have to rebuild everything. Unfortunately.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Duane, if you must spoof your mail address in the first place, could you please stick with one address so I don't have to adjust my killfile every once in a while? Thank you.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Bastard, I am not twisting your arm to read a damn thing. What you can do is kiss my Black ass about it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold1

Actually you are, by trying to crawl back out of my killfile.

*re-plonk*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Stop whining you pussy and shut the Hell up about it. It's free world and no one is dancing to your tune, partner. I don't even know who you think you are. But you're no one as far as I am concerned. I don't read your posts in the first place, so I have no need to KF you. The only thing you can do for me is clean the sh*t off of my shoes and spit shine them with your tongue, partner.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold2

Hey, I am giving you the opportunity for another pussy-plonk-and-run response. ;-)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold3

Duane,

it's sad enough that you're refusing to avoid doubling SPAM traffic to the SPAM victims, because you're insisting in (ab)using fake addresses.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you not to provoke with such misbehaviour to keep reputation as a partner in discussion.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Stop whining you pussy and shut the Hell up about it. It's a free world and no one is dancing to your tune, partner. I don't even know who you think you are. But you're no one as far as I am concerned. I don't read your posts in the first place, so I have no need to KF you. The only thing you can do for me is clean the sh*t off of my shoes and spit shine them with your tongue, partner.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold4

Damn a reputation, no reputation out here on the Internet is putting a dime in my pockets, none. Anything on the Internet doesn't count in the long run. It don't count.

I'll be here today and gone tomorrow and it will be someone else.

If someone will do a pussy plonk and run, with some comments about doing that, then I might be in their face about it, just on GP. :)

It's the dog in me.

adios muchacho :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Why don't you just answer the guy's question instead of trolling? Killfilters in this group wouldn't be necessary if everyone just respected each other's opinions.

Christ!

Reply to
fyrfaktry

And I think you got a little misconception about killfiles. :-)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I have a feeling that you should do the following:

1. Change vendord onyour Nat Firewall
  2. Change the username/password on the new Nat Firewall
  3. Update the firmware on thwe Nat Firewall
  4. Change the default LAN address on the Nat Firewall
  5. Turn off ALL remote access to the Lan Firewall, including all ICMP
  6. Do not allow ANY port porwarding to be configured, no matter what
  7. Get a Real Stateful Packet >> I have a home network and am currently using m0n0wall for the firewall.
Reply to
News

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.