Recommendataion of Carrier Etherenet Technology

Would anybody could do me a favor on recommending some books or papers on Carrier Etherenet Techonlogy?

thanks

Joe

Reply to
jshen.cad
Loading thread data ...

this another marketing term - all it means is ethernet "stuff" bought by a carrier (or that every manufacturer uses it to mean something different)

maybe you should either explain what you want to do or which technology you are thinking of?

Reply to
stephen

What I want to learn is :

1) how does ethernet technology applied by ISP network?

2) A hot-topic introduction of newest Carrier Ethernet technology, e.g. S-VLAN, Q-in-Q, PVLAN, user-account and access interface binding technology

3) scaling analysis & management analysis, e.g. how does ISP manages its MAN which is made up of a BIG Ethernet network?

4) how does DSLAM do with DSL subscriber line using VLAN (or ethernet ) trunking technology?

regards

Joe

regards

Joe

Reply to
jshen.cad

(1) Where have you looked for information so far ?

(2) What do you think might be possible answers (right or wrong) to the questions ?

(3) When is the homework or take-home exam due ?

=================

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Try

formatting link

Reply to
anoop

varies. at work we have a network built up over 10 years, so Ethernet doesnt dominate as the lower layer. lots of local Enet (in exchange points, hosting centres) Enet directly on lambdas across DWDM (GigE and 10G LAN PHY)

10g WAN PHY on some DWDM that cant handle LAN PHY 10G across dark fibre

Most access links are going in as either GigE on lambda, or on SDH using GFP (since the existing SDH network goes to all the PoPs)

this is a mix of standard based and proprietary terms - some of which isnt so useful for a WAN.

We use Q in Q on central end of Enet access links to MPLS to allow multiVPN and link aggregation into a PE router port.

Biggest hassle is that the PEs dont have SDH interfaces that talk GFP, so we have to break out the set of inverse mux'ed VC-x containers back onto Ethernet before presenting to a PE...

ISPs might have MANs, but most in the UK have a bigger footprint than that, so the underlying assumption here is false - networks are not just "big Ethernets".

The real problem for many is managing a big IP / MPLS network (or set of them) - where Ethernet is a big component. So Ethernet management has to fit into the bigger picture. And dont bother giving me a standalone management system - Netcool integration is needed for us for event management and root cause isolation.........

N/A - dominant carrier here uses ATM on DSL... and what makes you think VLANs need to traverse a subscriber DSL line at all?

VLANs are only useful if you want to split up the traffic and provide logical separation. Maybe there is a use for multiple logical pipes on DSL for business access, i.e. to share the line between a corp WAN and Internet - but even there DSL probably isnt fast enough for anythin more than a small office.

Reply to
stephen

Thanks for the answers.

In my situation, our MAN is a BIG L2 switching network which covers city area. As the number of customer increase, problems like account stealing occurs frequently. So, Radius account should be binded to the port customer access the network. But, there comes new service like TV or interactive multimedia service, these service need guarantee of network bandwidth.

So, if ATM over DSL is used radius account should be related to PVC directly, if ethernet is used as access method radius account should be related to access switch port. Is there solution for this ?

If multiple VLANs are carried over DSL channel, could DSLAM seperate them or need BRAS to do it?

Where can I find technical document on DSLAM? e.g. its common architecture, difference between IP-DSLAM and ATM-DSLAM

regards

Joe

Reply to
jshen.cad

it sounds like you dont have sufficient "insulation" between different customers. Is this just 1 layer 2 network, or do you segregate users by VLAN or some other method?

there are a bunch of carriers in the UK that use a similar structure for Internet feed, such as a feed for a bunch of schools.

FWIW you will find a lot of info in various places - a search for "carrier ethernet" on cisco, nortel, etc web sites will get you lots of bed time reading.

try a few places like

formatting link
So, Radius account should be binded to the

if the authentication doesnt even recognise a user asking for the wrong resources, then your network is broken.

only think i have heard of for this is to use PPP over Ethernet - since the PPP link works like dialup, you can use Radius to control the link. This is the same way an ATM DSLAM does authentication. But yes - you should limit where a user can get to so they only go to services they pay for......

usually the network is set up so all connection go to a central "box" for authentication - but you need a layer 3 design to make that work.

i think you need to decide why you want VLANs in the 1st place.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.