General q re: CCNA's & employment

How are recent CCNA's going in getting meaningful (network related) employment?

The feel in Australia is that it is picking up again. Most of this sentiment is in the press and written by people with a vested interest in saying IT is in demand again.

Does anyone have some real experience to give?

Fin.

Reply to
Finbarr
Loading thread data ...

To this date I Have CISSP, CCNA, CCDA and a college diploma in programming and almost finished a degree in computer science as well as PMP certification within 2 months. Neither of which have gotten me a job or interview. The only reason I have a decent job (IT manager for a licensed clothing company) is because I bust my ass to learn as much as I can in as many areas as I can and generally work way too hard and give up a lot of my life to it. Certifications are great for personal satisfaction and to put in biz cards but mean nothing without any experience. Start at tech support for a crappy company and move your way up in the field :)

F> How are recent CCNA's going in getting meaningful (network related) > employment?

Reply to
news1.sympatico.ca

Experience is over rated as well, just because a person has been working in the field for 10 years does not mean they know what they are doing. The only real qualification for IT is passion and curiosity, unfortunately these are attributes you can not easily show on paper.

ok i am not getting all into this... bottom line is experience is nice, certifications are nice, but it is the passion that makes a person worth hiring in IT. Someone who is continuously learning, experimenting and adapting.

Reply to
Eric Eastridge

That doesn't apply only to IT.Passion probably does (slightly) trump experience, but experience trumps certification by a wider margin, I think.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

TRUE

Certifications get you the interview, experience gets you considered, and the rest is all up to the individual. Something a professor told me years ago, unmistakable differentiation.

Reply to
Eric Eastridge

Maybe it should!

Reply to
Dave

It depends on who is doing the cv filtering as to if it's the certs or experience that get you an interview. If it's down to a Personnel/Human Resources/Staffing bean counter then hey, who knows.

Reply to
Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.