Wifi Logo or Icon

There's a logo here

formatting link

Reply to
blh_9
Loading thread data ...

Chuckle. The sign I usually see is a home made "Free Wireless" or "Free Wi-Fi". Various companies such as iPass, T-Mobile, and Boingo all have stickers that go in the window. There are also "AMD Hotspots" and other endorsement type signs. I don't think there's any standard designation.

However, the progressive thinking Peoples Republic of Santa Cruz County anticipated the problem and offered a solution. After listening to the tin-foil hat rabble, the planning department decided that 802.11 somehow posed a heath threat and suggested that every business establishment with wireless be required to post a suitable warning sign. Since the proposal did not specify the size and required text, I offered to design a prototype. It read: "Warning: 2,400,000 Hertz Transmission Area" followed by a list of applicable and convoluted FCC rules-n-regs. Unfortunately, the proposal was dropped by the planning department before I was able to present my prototype sign. Sigh.

How about: "Free Wireless Next Offramp. Sponsored by.... SSID=xxxxxx" I have no idea what to use for an icon that would be universally understood. Perhaps a symbolic laptop with an antenna of sorts?

The DOT and state highway agencies have very specific rules and regs as to what can be seen or posted on a major highway. In Calif, you have to pay Caltrans to build and setup the signs. California codes:

formatting link
Section 229 for "Tourist Oriented Directional Signs" and the associated bureaucracy.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is there a logo or icon that is somewhat universally accepted as a politically correct indication of a WiFi(free/fee) hot spot?

I'm thinking of something that would be accepted by a city/town/state (specifically the state/federal DOT) for posting at an interstate highway exit similar to the Hospital *H*.

Reply to
Not Me

Is there a logo or icon that is somewhat universally accepted as a | > politically correct indication of a WiFi(free/fee) hot spot? | >

| > I'm thinking of something that would be accepted by a city/town/state | > (specifically the state/federal DOT) for posting at an interstate highway | > exit similar to the Hospital *H*. | | There's a logo here | |

formatting link
Thanks, I found that one early on. The problem is that it is proprietary and government agencies will not adopt a proprietary icon for general information/highway use. A supplier could use a paid placement but the cost is prohibitive for most hotspots especially if they are 'free' access.

Reply to
Not Me

My semi-former ladyfriend is a member/leader of one of the local environmental organizations. It makes for very interesting dinner table conversation. The county took 3 years to hammer out a cellular tower ordinance. Her tinfoil hat crowd was amazingly vocal, especially when I pointed to the wireless access point in the council chambers. Of course, they all had cell phones. The warning sign suggestion came from their environmentally concious attorney, through her connections with county council.

Actually, it's tighter than that. Local agencies cannot use RF or exposure guidelines in any local ordinance. That's reserved for the FCC only.

Our planning board intentionally disregarded the advice of county council on the matter and insisted on setting "guidelines" for what they consider to be safe wireless exposure limits. I spent considerable time trying to tear them apart on a technical basis. When I realized that my efforts were futile, I hit them with FUD at a public hearing. I told them that their rules were perfectly acceptable for AMPS and various TDMA services currently in existence on currently allocated frequencies. However, the exposure rules will also effectively prevent the deployment of higher speed services (i.e.

3G) which require more power and more cell sites, thus turning the county into a technically reactionary area. The exposure guidelines were instantly dropped.

Don't worry. You'll be blamed for everything when something goes wrong.

I really don't know what's considered standard or acceptable. Perhaps you should invent your own or borrow one from the Warchalking crowd:

formatting link
still like the laptop with the antenna icon idea.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" | | >Is there a logo or icon that is somewhat universally accepted as a | >politically correct indication of a WiFi(free/fee) hot spot? | | Chuckle. The sign I usually see is a home made "Free Wireless" or | "Free Wi-Fi". Various companies such as iPass, T-Mobile, and Boingo | all have stickers that go in the window. There are also "AMD | Hotspots" and other endorsement type signs. I don't think there's any | standard designation. | | However, the progressive thinking Peoples Republic of Santa Cruz | County anticipated the problem and offered a solution. After | listening to the tin-foil hat rabble, the planning department decided | that 802.11 somehow posed a heath threat and suggested that every | business establishment with wireless be required to post a suitable | warning sign. Since the proposal did not specify the size and | required text, I offered to design a prototype. It read: | "Warning: 2,400,000 Hertz Transmission Area" | followed by a list of applicable and convoluted FCC rules-n-regs. | Unfortunately, the proposal was dropped by the planning department | before I was able to present my prototype sign. Sigh.

I had that run around in one small town. I directed the city attorney to the FCC's web site. When he found out that they could not tax WiFi it much less regulate WiFi he recommend they table the issue. Interesting point when they found out how much main street traffic the system generated I became

*the* fair haired boy instead of a seagull (consultant from out of town that fly in, sh|ts on everything local then flies out)

| >I'm thinking of something that would be accepted by a city/town/state | >(specifically the state/federal DOT) for posting at an interstate highway | >exit similar to the Hospital *H*. | | How about: | "Free Wireless Next Offramp. Sponsored by.... SSID=xxxxxx" | I have no idea what to use for an icon that would be universally | understood. Perhaps a symbolic laptop with an antenna of sorts? | | The DOT and state highway agencies have very specific rules and regs | as to what can be seen or posted on a major highway. In Calif, you | have to pay Caltrans to build and setup the signs. | California codes: |

formatting link
| See Section 229 for "Tourist Oriented Directional Signs" and the | associated bureaucracy.

the fee issue is what I'm hoping to avoid. Since it's a free service (like the hospital *H*) a generic symbol would be best, especially if I can find one before I start talking to DOT.

Reply to
Not Me

"Jeff Liebermann"

| Don't worry. You'll be blamed for everything when something goes | wrong.

Does not matter much, anytime anything goes wrong around here ... I'm responsible. Even when I'm not I get the job of fixing whatever it is that's wrong. I took early retirement and I'm busier now than when I was working (but enjoying it much more | | >the fee issue is what I'm hoping to avoid. Since it's a free service (like | >the hospital *H*) a generic symbol would be best, especially if I can find | >one before I start talking to DOT. | | I really don't know what's considered standard or acceptable. Perhaps | you should invent your own or borrow one from the Warchalking crowd: |

formatting link
| I still like the laptop with the antenna icon idea.

Actually having one designed is not such a bad idea I have a friend that does that kind of thing professionally likely cost me $10K+ if I had to pay but what the heck... she owes me a few favors.

So now I need ideas.

Anybody?

Reply to
Not Me

Can I suggest the Antenna mast with radiating marks, as seen 0n the IBM Thinkpad icon bar ? I've seen IBM use this icon, in their buildings indicating acces points....

regards jim

Not Me wrote:

Reply to
JimH

The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone. However, it's bad form to blame the person that will also fix the problem. They usually get rather irate. May I suggest you hire an official scapegoat. Kids, dogs, competitors, consultants, and government officials can sometimes be substituted but an in-house scapegoat is very useful.

My family has a tradition of working until we drop dead at the desk. I seem to be following in the family tradition. We don't do retirment.

Well, start with the existing selection of international symbols. Many clip art collections include huge collections of signs and symbols. There doesn't seem to be a online definitive collecion so assemble something from these: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
This looks like a good collection: |
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
they will help search for symbols. You might ask if they'll design or find one for you: |
formatting link
I couldn't find anything that looks specifically applicable, so you'll probably have to design your own. I still suggest the laptop with antenna. The antenna should have "radiation rings". I threw this together as a first attempt: |
formatting link
a real graphic designer can do something with it. Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I missed the previous discussion, what was wrong with the

formatting link
requirements? The only _real_ requirement is that you use WiFi-certificed equipment, and let them list your hotspot...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

How about a simple picture, of a stick figure kicking a laptop? :)

Harvey Gerst Indian Trail Recording Studio

formatting link

Reply to
Harvey Gerst

| >So now I need ideas. | | I missed the previous discussion, what was wrong with the |

formatting link
requirements? The only | _real_ requirement is that you use WiFi-certified equipment, and let | them list your hotspot...

I've spoken with people at several state DOT and the problem is that it is a proprietary/trademark logo / system, required a membership and adherence to standard that are not set by a public forum.

They are not opposed to someone using the logo to promote their site but since it is a private group under current rules any use would require a fee to be paid for posting on the high right of way.

Reply to
Not Me

"Jeff Liebermann"

| >Does not matter much, anytime anything goes wrong around here ... I'm | >responsible. Even when I'm not I get the job of fixing whatever it is | >that's wrong. | | The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone. However, | it's bad form to blame the person that will also fix the problem. | They usually get rather irate. May I suggest you hire an official | scapegoat. Kids, dogs, competitors, consultants, and government | officials can sometimes be substituted but an in-house scapegoat is | very useful.

My approach is to stop all the finger pointing by accepting responsibility (however ludicrous that might be) and get on with the job at hand. I'm usually finished before the rest find there voices to continue the complaints.

| >Actually having one designed is not such a bad idea I have a friend that | >does that kind of thing professionally likely cost me | >$10K+ if I had to pay but what the heck... she owes me a few favors. | >

| >So now I need ideas. |

Thanks for the links

Reply to
Not Me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.