Why Samsung Galaxy S3 has horrid grammar (e.g., "Who do you want to call?")

I feel sorry for the kids. I'm betting they'll revert to common usage once they get out from under parental control. Kids have a knack for figuring out and then avoiding those things that get them teased and/or beaten. Starting an interrogative with 'Whom" is definitely one of those things.

Reply to
George WB
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like a good way to wind up in your old age staring at the walls in a nursing home with no visitors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland mobile 07800 739 557

formatting link
Twitter: JackCampin

Reply to
Jack Campin

I wonder why you and Donna Olsen haven't bothered to contact Samsung customer service.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

The call is for we'ns. The call is for y'all.

Thou are (art, if you like) on the 'phone; the 'phone call is for thee.

Reply to
Warren Oates

It's a toll call.

¬R
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:47:35 -0500, George WB wrote of:

Not always -- think of the classic response to being accused of, say chewing gum, or throwing a spitball:

"Whom-me?" :-)

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Completely different.

In the second example, you will presumably be the caller. In the first, there is no non-tautological sense that you are the potential winner.

Reply to
Henry

Is it's a simple question with the same construct, regardless of who is asking the question (a phone or a person).

"Who/whom do you want to ". It's that easy. No need to get all anal about it.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Anal? No, not at all. But you have obviously never suffered through the Revised Extended Standard Theory. :-) I tell ya, you earn those wings and by golly you're gonna spread 'em.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

You're right.

It should definitely be:

Who you gonna call

Reply to
bob smith

And on incoming calls it says, "Who dat?"

Reply to
GBW

Kids get beaten for speaking properly?

What planet do your kids live on?

In my world, basic 3rd-grade grammar the first sign of intelligence & upbringing.

Just like having straight teeth, no tattoos, clean clothes, and clean fingernails, anyone can and should speak like a native 3rd grader, at the very least.

I don't have a galaxy but if it actually says "who" do you want to speak to, then it's really stupid.

I hope it can be fixed soon.

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

That doesn't make sense.

Who threw the spitball. He threw the spitball.

Saying "whom me" would be the opposite of correct grammar.

Now, if you said "Whom did you throw the spitball at?", the answer would be him.

We already know the rules for "him". You'd never say "They threw the spitball at he", would you?

So, the funny thing is, the dumbshits who say "who" instead of "whom" actually KNOW the right answer. They'd NEVER say "You want to speak to he".

They'd say, "You want to speak to him".

Likewise, anyone (who had at least a 3rd grade education) would say "Whom do you want to speak to", since the answer would be "to him".

Get it? To he --> who To him --> whom

We ALREADY know the answer! That's what's so grating if the Samsung galaxy (arguably a great phone otherwise) is so stupid.

Reply to
Joe Mastroianni

Did you grow up on one where the bullies don't target the smart kids? You're lucky.

¬R "I love Blip just because it's the absolute opposite of fun"
formatting link
--Kibo
Reply to
Glenn Knickerbocker

All kids live on the same planet, (along with the rest of us), although sometimes their behavior makes one wonder.

...grammar IS...

I think everyone should have a basic grasp of grammar rules, but common usage trumps the rules, especially in this case. 'Whom' sounds stupid and completely wrong in this context, regardless of whether the rules say that it's right.

'Who do you want to call' sounds perfectly fine to me, while 'Whom do you want to call' sounds awful. Again, common usage versus 'the rules'.

I certainly hope not.

Reply to
Frank Ghallo

According to ... you?

The distinction between subjective and objective case is so obvious and so simple that people who say 'Who do you want to call?' sound just as uneducated (... ignorant ... stupid ... worthless ... ) as those who say 'Him and me went down the boozer last night'.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Does if you're so nervous you get to stuttering :-) .

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.