What to do with 4 Digital Satellite Receivers (forclosed home came with them)

I bought a foreclosed home and it came with two satellite dishes and four things called "Digital Satellite Receiver", e.g., Sony SAT-B55 with an "Access Card" in the slot in back.

What would you do with these four satellite receivers?

Reply to
Donna DeLong
Loading thread data ...

I should mention I can call DirectTV to ask them to take them back but does Direct-TV actually come to my house to get them (which is a pain) and will they insist on removing the two antennas on the tile roof?

I don't see anything useful I can do with the four Direct TV satellite receivers so they can have them but I don't want anyone crawling on the tile roof to break even more tiles (I already have to get dozens of broken ones fixed, presumably from their installers).

In summary, is there anything "useful" I can do with these four direct TV digital satellite receivers (what would YOU do with them?)?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

I see them all the time in second hand stores. Someone must want them. Actually I think electronic hobbyist buy them.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Maybe someone can tell me what good these are.

Here are the four that were left, cordless, in the house (all with cards):

• Sony SAT-B55 Digital Satellite Receiver (card in rear slot)
  • Sony SAT-B65 Digital Satellite Receiver (card in front slot)
  • DirectTV H10 HD Receiver (card in front slot)
  • DirectTV H11 Satellite Receiver (card in front slot)

What would a typical person do with these 4 boxes (and the two dishes on the tile roof)?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

Good for nothing unless you subscribe to DTV service and activate the units. Likely they would send a new card (?) for the boxes.

Acquire "satellite" signals from space, for your television viewing.

Are you certain the dishes are mounted on the roof?! They sometimes need adjustment, so going on the roof is burdensome. In my town of 2 million people, I've never seen one on the roof.

Check to see if they are mounted on the fascia board with lag bolts, and not on the roof. Simple to remove using a ladder and hand tools.

Reply to
Oren

I travel extensively between Omaha-KC-OKC-Dallas-San Antonio and very frequently see dishes mounted on rooftops. I'm not sure I've seen them on tile roofs, however. That does sound unusual.

Reply to
Char Jackson

It was my mistake. The two gray DirectTV dishes are actually on the boards at the lip of the roof (not on the tiles themselves).

Lots of tiles are broken so I figured the guy who put them up walked on the roof as the wires are draped across the roof, but maybe he used a ladder.

I'm wondering if I should leave them there (perhaps they are of some use somehow to me, no or in the future?) or have the DirectTV company pull them down.

What would you do with the two dishes on the boards near the lip of the roof?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

If it were me who purchased a house with a couple of dishes installed and I had no intention of using them now or in the foreseeable future, I'd remove the dishes and caulk the mounting holes.

To me, they look ugly. Even more so if they aren't being used. Secondly, when the wind blows, the dishes are putting extra stress on the boards on which they're mounted.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I wonder if the two ~18" DirecTV dishes would be useful as a WiFi antenna?

formatting link
Or maybe I can repurpose the DirecTV dishes as Free-to-Air TV antennas (with a suitable FTA receiver)?
formatting link
Any experience out there in that?

Reply to
Donna DeLong

You must be the same Donna troll that used to hang out here, asking some lame-ass question and then keeping the thread going for 1000 posts or so. What was your old nym, again?

Reply to
Smitty Two

Hi, Don't feed troll.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.