temperature limits on wifi gear?

How warm an environment will things like a WRT54g operate within?

As in, if I put one in the radar arch of a boat what's the max temp it'll operate within reliably?

No sense wandering down this road if the device can't hack the heat...

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

get the spec sheet for you model from the manufacturers website. That will give max operating temp. That's a start.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Indeed, and experience from others helps even more than marketing materials.

I take it you've no experience with these units at temperature extremes?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Bill Kearney" hath wroth:

The data sheet at: |

formatting link
Operating Temp. 32ºF to 104F (0ºC to 40ºC) Storage Temp. -4ºF to 158ºF (-20ºC to 70ºC) No clue if these for real.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

(Bill, please don't snip attributions, its important to know who said what).

Someone wrote

Strictly speaking, spec sheets are not marketing material. You can always sue the maker if it fails below their marked operating temp.

FWIW I tend to keep my kit cool enough never to exceed max recc operating temp.

By the way you are being a bit agressive for someone asking for help. You can always ignore answers you don't like.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

http://www.l> Operating Temp. 32ºF to 104F (0ºC to 40ºC)

The standard way for a serious test is to buy a bunch and cook 'em.

If this is a mission-critical application, thats what to do. If its not, then buy two, try it with one and if it succeeds, keep the other as a backup. If not, take them both back to the shop and say one was DOA...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Indeed, thus why I asked. It'd help hearing from someone with actual real-world experience.

Thanks Jeff!

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The temperature range specification on electronic components tend to be real an reliable. In fact, they tend to be on the conservative side. The world just isn't big enough for manufactures of electronic components to go around lying about these specs.

The ranges given will come from both the range supplied by individual components, the heat generated within the system, and the capacity of the system to dissipate heat.

In other words, it is rare that a manufacturer will provide a specification that they know in advance that the device cannot meet. Yes, some radio manufactures are optimistic about RF transmission ranges of wireless devices, but this is "different". =20

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

"Bill Kearney" hath wroth:

Well, I just had one of those "real world" experiences. The router on a nearby mountaintop weather station and remote receiver system kept hanging for the last week or so. It's been rather hot in the area. Since today is ham radio Field Day, and the local clubs were making their annual pilgrimage to the mountain tops to offer sacrifice to the radio gods, I decided this would be a good day to fix the problem and then play radio geek.

The router is a Netgear WGR-614 v4. I would do a remote reboot, and

30-90 minutes later, it would hang again. I arrived ready to replace the router when the problem became obvious. The router was perfectly located to receive the full force of the exhaust air from a pair of 300 watt paging transmitters. I'm not sure how hot the case was, but it was hot enough that I didn't want to hold onto the box for more than a few seconds. My guess is about 50C or more. I knew that the paging company had upgraded their transmitters, but I never expected them to blow hot air into the adjacent rack. Grrrr... Anyway, the WGR-614 works when hot. No clue on the WRT54G.

From experience, you won't have much trouble when hot. It's the transition from cold, through the dew point, that causes trouble (unless you pressurize the box). The circuit board essentially gets soaked with condensation. You might consider installing a small heater (i.e. resistor) inside the case to prevent condensation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.