NEWS: Internet Explorer security alert

Users of the world's most common web browser have been advised to switch to another browser until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.

Microsoft is investigating the problem and preparing an emergency software patch to resolve it, it says.

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users.

"Microsoft is continuing its investigation of public reports of attacks against a new vulnerability in Internet Explorer," said the firm in a security advisory alert about the flaw.

Microsoft says it has detected attacks against version seven of the browser - its most widely used edition.

But the company warned that other versions were also potentially vulnerable.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

On 16 Des, 06:59, John Navas wrote: (snip irrelevant rant)

Most users in this group understood you're a dumb f*ck in your last post about WPA. We don't need more evidence. Go away.

Reply to
Chrisjoy

Instead of a just news article why not add the links that discuss possible means of mitigating the vulnerability?

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:53:32 -0800 (PST), Chrisjoy wrote in :

Grow up. You're only making yourself look like an idiot.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:26:39 -0500, John Mason Jr wrote in :

The first paragraph, which I've now emphasized, spells out how to mitigate it. If you don't know of other browsers, check these links:

In addition, I now use and recommend free COMODO Internet Security, a combination of very good anti-virus, firewall, and system defense.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:12:32 -0800, John Navas wrote in :

[SNIP]

Other browsers:

Effective security tools...

• Anti-Spyware (free)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Spybot Search & Destroy

• Anti-Rootkit

Panda Anti-Rootkit Sophos Anti-Rootkit Sysinternals RootkitRevealer (free)

• Anti-Virus (free)

Active Virus Shield (AOL) AntiVir Personal Edition avast! Home Edition AVG Anti Virus: AVG Free Edition BitDefender Free Edition COMODO Internet Security (RECOMMENDED, includes firewall & defense)

• On-line Scanners (free)

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan Freedom Free Virus Scan Kaspersky Free Virus Scan (RECOMMENDED) Kaspersky Virus File Scanner McAfee FreeScan Panda ActiveScan (RECOMMENDED) Trend Micro Housecall (RECOMMENDED) Windows Live OneCare safety scanner (RECOMMENDED)

Reply to
John Navas

This seems to be continuously being updated.

No Browser is perfect e.g.

Reply to
LR

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:16:11 +0000, LR wrote in :

True, but IE is much worse than the others, in part because it's the biggest target, in part because of (ugh) ActiveX, in part because of Windows integration, in part because much of the code base is so old.

Reply to
John Navas

You missed out one of the biggest security problems, the user.

"Why are so many people still using the security-challenged IE6? Crowley gives you the answer you already have. "Many people who use IE are not the most tech-savvy people. If you ask them about what security they have in place, they think you're talking about your house. It's more ignorance than anything else.""

Reply to
LR

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:04:36 +0000, LR wrote in :

The user is indeed a big (if not the biggest) part of the problem, which is part of why I recommended free COMODO Internet Security. For security to be effective, it has to also be unobtrusive to the average user.

Reply to
John Navas

Most users understood you're retarded when posting the first article in this thread, in this group. We don't need more evidence. Go away.

Reply to
Chrisjoy

I should have phrased it differently, why not include some discussion of the vulnerability, especially since there are lots of common applications out there that don't play nice with other browsers.

What is your criteria for saying COMODO is very good?

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

Might want to add

formatting link
For malware scanning sites

formatting link

Sandboxes

formatting link

For identifying non malware files

And a useful frontend to some command line scanners

formatting link

I would also just have folks use the sysinternals suite makes things easier to keep updated

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:46:09 -0500, John Mason Jr wrote in :

Reported results and my own evaluation -- I've put it on a sandbox machine and pounded on it, and I've been impressed by how well it protected that system, particularly the Defense+ HIPS component.

Reply to
John Navas

So what's with pimping these products lately? Find a new ass to kiss?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:30:19 -0500, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

I'm frankly amazed that you apparently don't see how your behavior hurts only yourself. Pity. But there you have it.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:55:32 -0500, John Mason Jr wrote in :

Some dups there, but also some things I missed. Thanks.

My list updated:

Advisors

Belarc Advisor (free) Bit9 FileAdvisor Secunia PSI (free)

Anti-Rootkit

Panda Anti-Rootkit Sophos Anti-Rootkit Sysinternals RootkitRevealer (free)

Anti-Spyware

Ad-Aware 2008 Free Spybot Search & Destroy (free) SUPERAntiSpyware

Anti-Virus

Active Virus Shield (AOL) (free) AntiVir Personal Edition (free) avast! Home Edition (free) AVG Anti Virus: AVG Free Edition BitDefender Free Edition Prevx

Anti-Virus & Spyware

Comodo Internet Security (free, includes firewall and HIPS) Malwarebytes

Malware Tools

IceSword (free, powerful) Sunbelt CWSandbox

Online File Scanners (free)

Comodo Instant Malware Analysis Kaspersky Virus File Scanner Sunbelt CWSandbox

Online Multi-scanners (free)

Jotti's Online Malware Scan VirSCAN.org VIRUSTOTAL

Online System Scanners (free)

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan Freedom Free Virus Scan Kaspersky Free Virus Scan McAfee FreeScan Panda ActiveScan Trend Micro Housecall Windows Live OneCare safety scanner

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Bill Kearney

So you've truly had a mental breakdown, eh? You've just become entirely incapable of seeing YOURSELF in your criticisms of others? They're only reacting to your abberant behavior. Can you not see this? There's nobody else in the group garnering such negative reponses as YOU. Adjust your behavior and the group could certainly find room for you to participate. Continue on your path and you'll continue to get the responses you deserve.

Or are you so utterly desperate for attention that this is the only way you know how to behave?

It's YOU that's the problem, John, not everyone else.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:40:12 -0500, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

I'm done with this, Bill -- you'll have to rant on, just making yourself look childish and foolish, without me. Now have the last word you seem to need some desperately. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.