Max number of users per AP ?

The limit for DHCP assigned IP's with Class C subnet mask is 253.

The rule of thumb is:

100 average web and email users. 10 average business users. 1 peer-to-peer or Bitorrent user.

You can use an SNMP MIB browser to look at the number of MAC addresses you have in the table. Syslog output should also give you a clue as to what's happening. If the MAC addresses look weird, you might search Google for "MAC flooding".

Also, users getting "kicked off" (a very vague term) can be caused by running out of DHCP IP address leases as new MAC addresses appear. Check your DHCP server for sufficient IP addresses and make sure that the lease time is fairly short (i.e. 30 mins) if you're running a system with lots of transient users (hot spot, coffee shop, hotel, etc).

Drivel: 50 users per radio for 802.11a.

I don't have a number. I know of several low bandwidth WISP systems with more than 100 active users on a single radio. I've also done it with tests in the lab (using a different access point). The available bandwidth divides nicely between the 100 users. However, I've never tested the AP-2500 for capacity.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Just curious what the practical limit of number of users per access point is?

I ask because we use the Proxim AP-2500 and in real world situation strange things start to happen at about 80 simultaneous wireless laptop users. We'll see existing users get kicked in favor of new users. Their spec sheet states it will support 250 users per radio, and two radios can be installed. I have a hard time beleiving that 500 users could all be talking to the same AP at the same time? Can that many machines talk on the same 802.11b channel at the same time?

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Proxim tech support does say in fact only 50 users for 802.11a, but 250 for

802.11b.

I will try shortening the DHCP lease time to 15 minutes, that may very well be the root of my problem.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.