Many WRT54GS as clients...

Hi,

I have one WRT54GS in AP mode and 6 WRT54GS in client mode scattered around it. Sveasoft alchemy firmware.

However all the clients experience very intermittent connection despite that the signal strength is more than adequate...

Any clue what is causing this?

Is Alchemy's WRT54 client mode more buggy that 'normal' wireless client cards..?

Thanks for any hints on this

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn
Loading thread data ...

So what is the signal strength and more importantly the SNR for starters?

Any other 2.4GHz wireless stuff around? Phones, video senders etc?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"David Taylor" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com...

I haven't the exact figures and will come back with those later. My primary concern is if the sveasoft client mode for this box should be able to handle

6 clients and share bandwidth among them given that there are no bttorrent etc. stuff in the pipelines...

Have tried many radio channels and not detected anything elso in this band at the actual spot

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

What have you used to determine interference?

Reply to
David Taylor

I've read David's answers. Where do I find SNR, anyway?

We used one WRT54G for a year. Router two floors, maybe 25', up from Winbook laptop.( Cable internet) Drove us nuts. Dropped often at various times. Signal strength would show Good, but no connection. Calls to linksys, newgroup queries, searches for help..no improvement. My lady finally tired of me trying to prove myself and called a geek.

We now, out of pocket again, have a Belkin Pre-N router, which pretty much does the job. Occasionally won't connect, but does after couple of minutes.

I wouldn't ask you to trash seven routers, but if you'd like to buy another WRT54G, I have one.

And I looked at sveasoft and other non-linksys upgrades, but didn't want to screw up whatever linksys warrenty we had.

Brad

Reply to
avalanche

Your client card software may report it. Point being that simply having a report of signal strength is somewhat meaningless if there's noise (inteference) of the same proportion. Ideally there shouldn't be but if I fire up a video sender for example or a wireless camera, I can kill the signal from my router without any effort at all.

If you disable the windows zero config thing and use the software that came with the card, it will likely have better diagnostics and reporting. The windows 5 bar icon is somewhat "off" from what the manufacturers diags tend to report.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.