Latest Google privacy violation

Not only did they sniff your wifi, they sniffed all the devices on your network. But they don't sniff wifi from the street view cars anymore. Nope, they use Android phones to do their wifi sniffing.

Do No Evil....I guess that is just an expression.

formatting link
I wonder if we should all spoof our MACs?

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

I'd like to, but the paternalistic suits at Intel decided I don't "need" to. I learned of this when I wanted to change the MAC address on the Intel Centrino N 130 adapter in my recently-purchased laptop.

So far I can't even change the MAC under Ubuntu, but I may just be doing it wrong.

Objekt

Reply to
Objekt

This approach works for me on my Debian system (I use it to match my wireless card's MAC to that of the wired MAC, so that either interface can receive the same sticky IP address from the corporate DHCP server):

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:12:34:56:78:9a

I can change the MAC address on both the wired and wireless adapters, so if you're using the same sort of approach then it suggests to me that it's the card refusing to accept the change request.

lspci | egrep -i 'ethernet|network' 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02) 0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

Network Connection (rev 02)

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

I have a netbook with an Atheros wireless NIC that does offer MAC address changing, in the Windows XP drivers. The problem is, it doesn't work. The adapter will only connect to my router (Netgear WNR3500v2) with its original MAC address.

That is likely due to buggy drivers/incompetence at Atheros. Intel's overt feature-removal - and spinning it as a "security feature" - comes off as authoritarianism.

If this turns out to be one of those things that can't be worked around, is there another wireless NIC I could buy that does allow MAC address changes?

I could live with a slower data rate; it doesn't have to be N-wireless. For breaking into my router to "steal" Internet access (the primary security scenario I want to test), even 54 Mbit is more than fast enough.

Objekt

Reply to
Objekt

This may not help, but should not hurt. Try to power cycle both the PC and the Router after you change the interface MAC address. It's possible the two of them are arguing over the change.

I an old router, long gone and model forgotten, that kept track of the PC name and MAC address and if they did not match what it had in it's memory it would refuse a new connection. A power reset or reboot would clear out the cached values in the router allowing the changed MAC to work.

Hopefully your router has not been configured to block all new MAC address values in it's firewall settings as that may block your changed MAC value as well.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Nope. No money in it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.