Help: Possible to choose antenna with same SSID?

Hello,

I am on a college campus that went Wireless. From my dorm room, I can see the SSID for the campus, however I cannot connect properly. There is apparently damaged fiber optic line running from the closest antenna to the relevant campus systems.

What happens when I try to connect is I get a high number of sent packets with none recieved. The system slowly (~1 minute) assigns an IP address, and subnet mask, but not (and never) a default gateway, DNS or WINS server.

My computer does work on the network on other parts of campus, so I'm pretty sure that it's just this particular antenna I am having problems with.

Is there a way to select between different antennas (physical addresses?) broadcasting the same SSID?

I am on Win 2k2 Pro SR 2 w/ Dell TrueMobile 1150 series Wireless MiniPCI card I'll take a slow connection that works over one that does not at all...

I apologize for any incorrect use of terms & jargon...and thank you for responses...

Reply to
djkdub1
Loading thread data ...

I am leaning this way because the bad WAP antenna is about 30 meters from my window, mocking me. The students literally 3 meters across the hall connect to a different WAP on the other side of the building and have no problem.

What software connects to a specific MAC address?

How would I do this? I have fiddled around but I can't seem to bring up anything other than simple settings.

Thank you for all your help...It's a shame my tuition dollars & fees seem to be paying for nothing...as there has supposedly been a work order since last winter for the broken fiber.

Reply to
djkdub1

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Must be the quality of the connection. Do you have enough signalstrength ? Are there other signals at your side (wireless video/audio, radio-amateurs etc.) ? Disconnect these if you can control them. You can try a beter antenna on your side. Use a directional.

Only if the signal is stronger than the "wrong" one. You can try using a directional antenna. Or you must use software that only connects to a specific MAC-address.

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" schreef in bericht news:43957fc4$0$21722$ snipped-for-privacy@news.kabelfoon.nl...

Have you tried changing the connectionspeed from automatic to the minimum you can choose (mostly 1 Mb/s) ?

Reply to
Ron

get the admin users to diable it - or pull the power until it is fixed

a connection to a black hole is worse than useless, since without that AP you may be able to get a working link to another.

Reply to
stephen

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Don't let Windows control your card. Use the software that came with it or look at the website of the manufacturer. If he doesn't have any, try to figure out which chipset is inside and look on the internet for software for that chipset.

If it is only 3 meters that you have to cross you can also do the following: Get yourself a usb wireless networkcard and 5 meters of usb cable (use a usb-repeater if neccessairy). If speed is not important use usb 1.1 (11 Mb). These are often more sensitive than the high-speed (usb 2, 54 Mb) ones. Place the card at the location where you have good reception and lead the usb cable to your place.

Reply to
Ron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.