Does Google Play keep an archive of the *old* (free) versions?

Apparently MetaGeek inSSIDer 4.0.2.9 (July 23, 2014) is now payware.

I reset my Android phone to factory defaults, but, much to my chagrin, when it came time to re-install the inSSIDer freeware, what used to be free, apparently isn't free anymore.

Did the MetaGeek inSSIDer freeware suddenly (without warning) go payware?

formatting link

When I look on Google Play, it's no longer freeware:

formatting link

However, I can easily find inSSIDer on other sites, e.g., Techspot:

formatting link

It's also free at Global APK, but can I trust these sites?

formatting link

I'd rather get inSSIDer from Google Play, which used to provide it for free (since I used it up until I re-imaged my phone).

Reply to
James P. Doolittle
Loading thread data ...

James P. Doolittle wrote, on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 04:12:34 +0000:

I wish I had saved the original apk download of inSSIDer, because it's no longer freeware, but, it *was* freeware when I had last installed it.

Since I had backed up my apps with Kies3 on Windows just yesterday, I tried to open the 1,505KB "net.metageek-1.apk" which Kies3 in Android, but, Android simply gave the error message: "Describe error. There is a problem parsing the package".

In fact, *all* the apk files backed up by Kies3 on Windows gave that same error when I copied them over to the Android "Downloads" directory and tried to open them on Android.

So, going to Kies3 on Windows, I went to the Kies3 "Backup/Restore" tab, and selected the entry titled "inSSIDer 1.47MB":

formatting link

This immediately elicited the warning:

formatting link
"Instructions for restoring an application. The App Verification setting for blocking the installation of malicious applications has been enabled on your device. Disable the [Verify apps] setting in the [Settings] menu before continuing."

Back on the Android phone, I went to "Settings > More > Security", and unchecked the setting labeled "Verify apps. Block or warn before installing apps that may cause harm."

I also noted that the Android setting was checked titled: "Unknown sources. Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store."

Then, back on Windows Kies3, I hit the "Restore" button:

formatting link

Voila!

formatting link

The result was that the older (freeware) version of inSSIDer was, thankfully, re-installed onto the Android device! Woo hoo!

I'm glad you guys talked me into using Kies3 as a backup solution.

Good news? Kies3 worked to restore the freeware inSSIDer version! Bad news? Why didn't just clicking on the Kies3 apk file work?

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

James P. Doolittle wrote, on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 06:05:29 +0000:

This unfortunate change of inSSIDer from freeware to 10-dollar-ware brings the following two questions to the fore.

Q1: Why didn't Android install directly from the apk that Kies3 saved?

From now on, I want to save the apk when I download from Google Play. That brings up the second related question:

Q2: How can we save a working apk when we install from Google Play?

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

James P. Doolittle wrote, on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 06:16:13 +0000:

Nobody?

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

Nothing wrong with inssider, but if you can't reinstall the old freeware version from your kies backup apk, then just replace inssider with fritz! app wlan freeware, from avm gmbh.

Reply to
Farshad

Another inssider replacement that's free is wifi analyzer by farproc

formatting link

Reply to
Farshad

James P. Doolittle wrote: [...]

This assume Android 4.1.1 and File Manager. Your procedure might be a bit different.

HowTo:

[This assumes that you already have created a folder 'MyAPKs' on your SD-card.]

File Manager -> Internal (or SD card) -> tap four-squares icon at the bottom -> switches to category mode -> Applications -> Installed -> -> tap -> Copy to -> '

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Frank Slootweg wrote, on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:33:43 +0000:

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

IIRC, you have a recent Samsung device. Also your mention of "my default "My Files" file manager", seems to confirm that.

(Besides the Android 4.1.1 / 'File Manager' device,) I also have a recent Sasung Galaxy Tab4 (10.1"), so I could help you, *if* I knew how to operate the bloody device! :-) It's not so much the difference in Android versions, but the 'menu' (three horizontal bars) key being 'replaced' by the 'Recent' key, that's giving me problems ("I don't want to see the bloody list of bloody 'recent' programs, I want to see the bloody *menu*!" (And no, long-pressing the 'Recent' key doesn't do anything either!)).

So let me describe *what* should be done, and then you can try to figure out *how* to do that with the "My Files" app, or any other file manager.

- As said, first create a folder 'MyAPKs' (or similar) on your SD-card.

- In the 'My Files' app, the left panel will say 'Favorite folders', 'Folders', 'Categories' and 'Apps'.

- Open the 'Categories' list (by tapping the down-arrow to its right).

- One of the categories is 'Downloaded apps'. Open/tap that.

- The right panel will show your downloaded/installed apps (i.e. not the 'built-in' apps).

- Your mission - should you accept it :-) - is to select and *copy* the (APK of the) desired app to the 'MyAPKs' folder.

[This is the part I don't know how to do. I can *select* it (by long-pressing the icon of the app), but I see no way to *copy* it. The only option I get is 'Delete' (in the upper-right corner), nothing else. *Damn*, I want my 'Menu' key back!]

Hope this helps.

Did I already say that I want my 'menu' key back!? :-)

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Frank Slootweg wrote, on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:23:34 +0000:

It's a Galaxy S3 that I bought used for $75 last month. I haven't put an external sd card in it yet.

The S3 has the permanent keys, with the "Back" button on the bottom right of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the "Menu" button on the bottom left.

Aha! I never saw that. When I open "My Files".

By default, this is what I see in "My Files":

formatting link

Then, when I press the "Menu" button, I can see the settings:

formatting link

But, nothing in the settings seems to show categories better:

formatting link

Maybe it only works with the sdcard, which I will try to buy and install anyway.

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

This is what I find so annoying about Android: All these versions are totally different and the newest versions may be the 'latest', but by no means the 'greatest'.

(As said,) My 'File Manager' app is part of Android 4.1.1 (at least on my phone, a Huawei). It's (probably) 'old', but *can* do what you want. I could not find any version or other identifying information for this (bundled) app.

My 'My Files' app is part of Android 4.2.2 (at least on my Samsung Galaxy Tab4). It is new(er), but probably can *not* do what you want. After my previous posting, I tried some normal files (i.e. not apps) and for those I *did* get options to copy (or move) them. So for the moment it looks like 'my' 'My Files' app can *not* make a copy of an APK. So much for 'progress'! :-(

Your 'My Files' app seems to be somewhere in the middle, not as bad as my - probably newer - 'My Files' app, but also not as good as my *old* 'File Manager' app.

So besides my 'Menu' button, I want my 'File Manager' back! :-(

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Frank Slootweg wrote, on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:14:18 +0000:

This is a surprising (to me) weakness in Android, that you can't easily get the proper version of an app that you, at one time, installed from Google Play:

1. Take, for example, this app with the "Guy Fawkes" icon:
    formatting link
  2. When I run the app, there is no "Help > About" anywhere:
    formatting link
  3. "Manage Applications" isn't anywhere in the "App Drawer":
    formatting link
  4. The name "Manage Applications" wasn't ever downloaded:
    formatting link
  5. Even Google Play doesn't show it was ever installed:
    formatting link
  6. Sander Troffin kindly explained how to figure out what app was this Guy Fawkes icon: "An Android app may have two Launcher icons. It looks as if that app does. That app is "Permission Manager" from Appaholics, com.appaholics.applauncher. Export "Permission Manager" to an apk file; unzip the apk (it is a zip file with an apk extension) and you will find that "Guy Fawkes mask" image inside."
  7. Frank Slootweg also kindly suggested this procedure: "Assuming it is a *downloaded* app ... Play Store app -> -> My apps -> 'ALL' tab -> find app without known origin -> tap it -> tap on info panel (*not* on UNINSTALL or OPEN) -> You will now get the Play Store entry for the app which should list the 'DEVELOPER'.
  8. Trying this helpful suggestion out, I go to "My Apps":
    formatting link
  9. Then, in Google Play "My Apps", I go to the "All" tab:
    formatting link
  10. But, again, this fails to show me either the name of "Manage Permissions" or the "Guy Fawkes" icon:
    formatting link
    (top half)
    formatting link
    (bot half)

The *only* (known) way to figure out that what the "Guy Fawkes" app really is, without unpacking the apk zip file, is by Google Play trial and error on (all) the *other* similar apps that are currently installed, using a process of elimination.

Either that, or I'd have to snapshot all my apps, and then uninstall all my apps, until this particular "Guy Fawkes Manage Applications" app dissappeared.

Then I'd know what the app was!

IMHO, that's just crazy (but, it is, what it is).

Reply to
James P. Doolittle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.