Voice Over IP Walkie Talkies

I would like a device that looks and works like a walkie-talkie except it communicates with a wireless 802.11g Access Point and uses voice over IP to transmit voice communications over a WAN. I believe that this would have several benefits over a conventional cell phone, i.e. no monthly charges, in some cases clearer communications, improved security. To make a call to another walkie-talkie on the WAN you could type in the IP address for that device. The device should be lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a product like this exist?

Reply to
srulison
Loading thread data ...

You'd be better off aliasing the MAC address to a real name, and storing that info in the "walkie talkie's" address book. If something like that were to ever be made that is...

Reply to
Onion Knight

There are several softphone clients for PDAs if that is a feasible solution.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI. There is a catch, they aren't cheap ! One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones..., but I need one now ! Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

P2000W is not a very good bit of kit, if I'm totally honest.

We've never really got ours working "perfectly"..

:<

Alex.

Reply to
Alex Bloor

Actually, it's no called IoIP or Intercom over Internet Protocol. The idea is just that...use the LAN/WAN for Push to Talk Intercoms. Digital Acoustics ii3 Intercoms

formatting link
seem to be the largest manufacturer of IoIP and VoIP type intercoms.

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 5730 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ss

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.