Linksys WRT54GS Router with SPI Stateful Packet Inspection and Vonage

I read on the Vonage site that sometimes SPI (enabling the firewall - default) might cause dropouts and such.

I have had dropouts and one way audio (person cannot hear me at times). My bandwidth seems great up and downstream, per my other posting.

formatting link

*****My question is can I disable my SPI (Firewall) on router and still be fairly safe (Windows XP) since I am running a software firewall (Paid version-not Norton or McAfee)????

*****If I disable it via 192.168.1.1 should I leave any of the boxes checked under the firewall setting such as: Firewall Protection : Enable Disable

Block Anonymous Internet Requests Filter Multicast Filter Internet NAT Redirection Filter IDENT(Port 113)

If I turn on NAT will that screw up my network (newbie question-sorry).

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

Spoke to Vonage and they put my PAP2 in the DMZ of the router. Also changed packet size and increased buffer. Additional changes were made by them to the PAP2 remotely. Got a good person to help me out of New Jersey. They told me to re-enable the SPI firewall on the Linksys.

Reply to
pattyjamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.