How 2 increase priority of VoIP software in WinXpPro??

Hi All,

How can I increase then priority that is given by the system to a VoIP application?

I've gone into the Win Task Manager, selected Processes, chosen the application file, right mouse clicked over that to open the context menu, chosen Set priority, and chosen Above normal, high, etc.

However, if I go there again later, with or without restarting the OS, the priority level is still set as Normal ...

Any sugestions, please?

Regards, JBR

Reply to
BigBen
Loading thread data ...

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but it seems to me that if a VOIP app is bogging down your PC, something is wrong with either that app or your PC - which if it is running the rest of XPP satisfactorily, is probably not the case.

If you mean you are suffering bandwidth issues, possibly as a result of not having quite enough of it, or other traffic grabbing too much of it, have a look at

formatting link
- enables you to set priorities. Usual disclaimers.

Reply to
David Millen

My non-VoIP applications are running fine, my VoIP connections have loads of noise, on my speech only (upload).

I have a high latency connection - CDMA 450.

I'm trying to have my system give more of its processing power to the VoIP application.

I'm already using cfos speed, and did not notice much improvment, if any at all.

TCP Optimizer, with custom settings, did a marvelous job of improving my connection speed, for all types of Internet usage, and to VoIP in particular by (finally) reducing my lost sent packets down to 0%

Presently the people I call hear just about not speech cuts, but the "background" noise is insatisfactory.

Any sugestions (other than switching to ADSL, or giving up VoIP all together), pls?

Regards, JBR

Reply to
BigBen

Did you install the "QoS packet scheduler " in your network connection, hmmmmm?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

VoIP media packets, and usually also its signalling packets, are transmitted over UDP: optimizing TCP won't help you much, I'm afraid.

Together with packet loss, the worst enemy of VoIP is jitter, i.e. random changes in the delay of each packet. Usually this is best solved at the receiving end, extending the size of the buffer where the packets are stored and reordered before being decoded. The larger the buffer, the higher the chance of eventually receiving a delayed packet rather than declaring it "missing in action" and accepting a short dropout in the voice stream; on the other hand, large jitterbuffers also introduce an annoying delay in the speech.

On your side, you might try to increase the priority of the voice packets by setting the TOS bits of each IP packet to "Low Delay" (this is usually already done by the application or by the VoIP hardware adapter), _AND_ enforcing some sort of queuing discipline ("qdisc") at the bottleneck of the outgoing pipe: that will allow the VoIP data packets to go out through a "fast lane", so that, if packets have to be delayed or dropped for lack of bandwidth, that destiny will be reserved to competing packets carrying non-realtime data: web, e-mail etc. With non-dialup connections, such QoS (Quality of Service) enforcement action is normally delegated to the router. In your case, probably the PC should do that. I understand that WinXP Professional has a built-in QoS scheduler

formatting link
) but I never tried it as I don't run XP.

Passing to ADSL is always a good idea: VoIP over dialup is never going to work very well. Which is why the mass deployment of VoIP has began after the diffusion of Broadband Internet. Also, I have found that the voice quality with hardware adapters or IP phones is much higher than what is provided by softphones (I especially recommend the devices from Sipura, now Linksys).

Cheers --

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

No. I installed cfosspeed. Can't say I noticed any improvment in reducing the background noise in my speech. Is there any significant diference between them?

This is why either VoIP Stunt/Buster/Cheap, etc, or Skype. Other VoIP systems I've tried still have loads of speech cuts, both inbound and outbound.

Regards, JBR

Reply to
BigBen

Hello, visit

formatting link

Cordialmente, ________________________ Voip Mizael Longuini de Morais Diretor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com S=E3o Paulo - Brazil tel: VoIP: snipped-for-privacy@sipagate.com fax: VoIP: snipped-for-privacy@sipagate.com mobile: 55 19 91546686

BigBen wrote:

Reply to
mizaelmorais

I'd like to, but I simply get an error message. Are you sure the link is correct; can you open it?

Cumprimentos,

JBR

Reply to
BigBen

The link is fine. Here is the text ...

This tweak is designed for broadband users on Windows XP Pro Edition. For Windows Home Edition, consult the forum, as gpedit.msc is not available for you. This tweak will only remove an internet reserve of 20%, although this is not active unless you are running QoS Aware programs.

1.Log on as "Administrator".

1. Run - gpedit.msc

2. Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch

1. Then expand the "Administrative Templates" branch

2. Expand the "Network" branch

1. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left pane.

2. In the right window pane double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting

1. On the settings tab check the "Enabled" item

2. Change "Bandwidth limit %" to read 0

1. Then go to your Network connections Start=>Connect to=>Show All Connections and right-click on your connection. Then under the General or the Networking tab, (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.

Reply to
R-Guy

Thank you very much! I have already run the application, and configured the parameter at stake.

Best,

JBR.

Reply to
BigBen

Ok! Sauda=E7=F5es do Brazil a todos! :)

Cordialmente, ________________________ Voip Mizael Longuini de Morais Diretor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com S=E3o Paulo - Brazil tel: VoIP: snipped-for-privacy@sipagate.com fax: VoIP: snipped-for-privacy@sipagate.com mobile: 55 19 91546686

Reply to
mizaelmorais

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.