Anyone w/ actual experience of ceiling-mounted flat-panel TV?

Does anyone have any /actual/ experience w/ mounting an LCD flat-panel TV to a ceiling (yes, like in the old Philips commercial).

I've been unable to locate a definitive answer on the topic, and would appreciate any real-world/actual comments on the subject.

FWIW: the unit being considered is a Sharp Aquos 32" LCD display.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Franks
Loading thread data ...

Not actual experience, but one thing to think about ...

I was part of a design team for a computer LCD panel. One of the things the thermal engineers forbade us to do was allow the panel hinges to allow the panel to be flipped horizontal, since it would collect heat. This model had no fan, and relied on the heat rising up vents in the top of the cabinet, and cool air replacing it below. So tilting it so the vents were all on the bottom, and having heat collect inside was strictly a no-no. It may not be quite as bad with your ceiling mount, since the vents will be on the top, but you still will lose the airflow across the panel. So the heat may get out of components directly below the vents holes, but other places will still collect heat.

So if your models doesn't already have a fan to force air through, I'd add one to help out. Probably one or two small PC fans would be fine. Put them somewhere in the center where heat would collect, and orient them to suck the hot air out. Cool air will then enter from the vents on the edges.

Reply to
x

wow - I guess I would always be afraid that it comes down on my head :-)

Reply to
spiff

Thanks for the comments. The unit in question has two integral fans near the upper corners, so presumably heat would not be as much of a concern. Further, in my case, the display would be mounted at 5-10 degrees from horizontal, allowing for some natural convection (?).

Reply to
Peter Franks

Presuming the mounting hardware is sufficient to hold the unit securely...

Reply to
Peter Franks

TV in the bedroom, above the bed.

Reply to
Peter Franks

Or sore neck, LOL. Lazy man's idea?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ok, not much in the way of responses to my post...

Anyone /know/ of anyone that has done this, or have a friend of a friend who saw Ferris Bueller pass out at Baskin Robbins, but just before he did heard about someone who mounted a flat-panel on the ceiling...

Reply to
Peter Franks

So, no one has ever done this that reads these forums...

Hmmm.

Reply to
Peter Franks

Will do -- thanks.

Reply to
Peter Franks

Peter Franks wrote in news:QDvlf.74906$2k5.31666 @dukeread09:

You might want to try in AVS Forums ... a lot more traffic in there.

Reply to
Spam Catcher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.