Compatibility of sprinkler system controllers

Sorry for cross-posting to so many groups. I did a search for 'sprinkler system controller installation' and came up with these groups.

I had an Irritrol 6-station controller pre-installed when I purchased my house. During a recent thunderstorm, a big power surge fried the internal circuitry, so I'm now hunting around for a new controller. I would like to know if I can buy a different brand. Will the wiring be the same/compatible among all brands? Also, how easy/difficult is it to install it by myself?

Thanks in advance, Swaroop

Reply to
swaroop.rao
Loading thread data ...

Absolutely. The industry is standardized with common voltages and connections, so it's no problem to change.

The wiring is quite simple as well. You will be pulling and reattaching leads from each valve plus ground and power wires. Some controllers already hae the power leads hooked up internally, so that's even one more step you can skip.

Just make sure to take a note on which wires go to which zones, so you can put them back in the correct order. On that note, now's the time to change the order of your zones if you feel like it.

I replaced my controller recently for the same reason and it took about 30 min, including mounting the box to the wall, which was a bit different than the previous model.

Reply to
MrC1

I would recommend a Toro, I've installed 4 units, in four different homes & the all worked sweet.

TORO AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER TIMER Model 5333X

it comes in 4, 6 & 8 station (valve) flavors

The 4 or 6 can be expanded to 8 by adding an interior connection module(s)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I would recommend a Toro, I've installed 4 units, in four different homes & the all worked sweet.

TORO AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER TIMER Model 5333X

it comes in 4, 6 & 8 station (valve) flavors

The 4 or 6 can be expanded to 8 by adding an internal connection module(s)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Anyone try one of these before?

formatting link
They look pretty good.

Reply to
Paul

I've been using the basic X10 unit for a year. It gives a lot of flexibility.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.