help about ethernet limits

Hi, can someone help me to understand the answer to the following quiz?

Two network hosts located 220m apart need to be connected using

100Base-TX. To minimize costs, what devices would be required? a. two Class I hubs b. two Class II hubs c. one Class I hub and one switch d. two switches

The correct answer is c, but I don't understand why! Please, someone can learn me the answer? Thanks, Luca

Reply to
moltilimits
Loading thread data ...

HI, I saw this question as well- 2 class II repeaters can only extend for 205metres on a 100 BaseTX(if it was 100Base FX it would be

228meters) So with a switch and Class I hub/repeater you get 300 metres. If you have the CCNA 1and 2 companion guide the table is on page 311. Hope this helps.
Reply to
greg johnstone

Thanks Greg for explanation! Unfortunately I don't have the companion guide but only the network academy online course (version 3.1.1). In chapter 7.1.9 there is a small table, but it doesn't report which is maximum cable length between a Class I hub and a switch. For 100Base-TX is it 100 metres as how switch/switch or switch/host links? Why answer d is incorrect? Because of the costs? Bye

Reply to
moltilimits
2 sitches would only give you 200metres I think, I would guess that a switch is more expensive as well than a hub/repeater..

I just passed my first final exam for semester one tonight (85%) so am pleased! Stay in touch , how you are getting along. See ya.

Reply to
greg johnstone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.