NEWS: AT&T-BellSouth Antitrust OK

\\

AT&T's proposed merger with BellSouth sailed through the federal antitrust review.

The Justice Department says it found nothing anticompetitive about the combination of two of the nation's largest telcos.

Now, the next regulatory clearance for the deal is expected to come tomorrow from the Federal Communications Commission.

The blessings from regulators come despite a request by lawmakers to delay the moves.

Last month, Reps. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., and John Conyers, D-Mich. -- the Republican chairman and ranking Democrat of the House Judiciary Committee -- asked antitrust regulators to wait on a merger approval until a federal judge has cleared two prior telco mergers.

A federal district court judge in Washington is still hearing arguments on whether the mergers between SBC and AT&T, as well as Verizon (VZ - commentary - Cramer's Take) and MCI are in the public interest.

The lack of complications and onerous conditions attached to the Justice Department's approval, plus early signs that the FCC wasn't looking to make any demands, was seen as a good sign by some Wall Streeters.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

----------- snip -------------

Navass:

If I am not mistaken, it is illegal to copy and paste copyright articles without permission. In other words, I didn't see your permission to steal this article and paste it in this group. Keep this up and we'll have to bail you out. Dork! :(

Reply to
Kim

Calling someone a dork makes you sound like a troll! Bye troll! Find some other newsgroup to troll from!

Reply to
BillW50

There is one condition. AT&T has to make DSL service available over 100 percent of its network, as a condition of approval. DSL just became available here, and I am about to make the jump from Comcast to DSL from a third party company here. Comcast's customer service has really gone to hell, especially if there is any outage of any kind.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.