new to comcast- which cable modem works best?

What's hard to believe? Just because your cable company blames the modem all the time doesn't mean they all do. As I said above, in my experience Comcast has never, ever blamed my modem. If you want to believe that I'm lying, that's your problem.

Oh, and I figure I've saved well over $100 over four years by owning instead of renting, so I'm way ahead.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary
Loading thread data ...

scribed:

This assumes that Comcast will replace your rental modem when it fails. In my case, they refused to do so (mine got zapped by a lightning strike). I had to buy a new one. They have not lowered my bill, either.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright

My modem's ethernet port was zapped by lightning and Comcast quickly and courteously replaced it.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Mine was replaced quickly even tho it worked but a led didn't ligt up indicating it was connected! All I did was to ask if it was the modem or the cable connection.....

Reply to
lew

I cannot see any argument that beats owning a CM for free, or nearly free, after all rebates. Delay your hook-up if you need to, but opt for the free modem from one of the electronics chains. I purchased a Linksys CM this way a few years ago (Best Buy), I think I didn't get one of the rebates back, so it cost me $10. plus postage and sales tax on the full price. And I have saved nearly $100. in rentals so far. It has worked flawlessly since. This is a version 1 DOCSIS model. Is there much in a CM beyond a NIC to go wrong? Good luck.

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Yes.. the linksys cable modem V.1 and V.2 is already known to cause disconnects when you open up too many connections. (aka edonkey, emule, some multiplayer games.) We had a field day trying to get comcast to update the firmware to fix it.. they flat out refused to.

After that, many of us just threw our linksys modems away and bought/rented another one..

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
That same modem is being replaced now because people are having issues trying to reach the new 6 meg cap. It barely reaches the 4 mb cap now..

As i said earlier.. I would avoid the linksys modems.. We have had nothing but problems with them on dslreports.com....

If you get one, and it starts to freeze up when up open up a lot of connections... I warned you...

Reply to
Danska

Yes.. the linksys cable modem V.1 and V.2 is already known to cause

Okay - I;m warned, I'm warned. However, the modem has since been upgraded to Version 3.

Has anyone had difficulty with Version 3 ? Office Depot has them in stock for a reasonable price. I just don't want to pay Comcast's rental fee.

George

Reply to
George Berger

I don't know what the latest versions are, but FWIW, the Motorola SB4100 I've had since day 1 on Optonline just keeps running fine. FWIW YMMV DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.