cable modem constantly needing reset

Hi,

I have a cable modem connected to a router and two pc's. Lately the modem loses the internet signal and needs to be constantly restarted. Sometimes that does not help either. Have been in touch with the cable provider and they said there was something wrong with the signal and it would be rectified. It worked after that for a while but now seems to have the same problem again.

Funny thing is the problem began happening after getting a new computer. My question is could the computer be the cause of the modem losing the signal? Something to do maybe with the network card?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
JH
Loading thread data ...

Whether or not a modem is able to sync-up has nothing to do with what you've connected to the modem. If this happened at the same time you bought a new computer, it's completely coincidental.

Reply to
Warren

Is it a Motorola SB5100? I'm just wondering if it's the defective one I turned it, no doubt being used by someone else now. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

What cable system?

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

No doubt being used SUCCESSFULLY by someone else now. ;-) Sorry, it was too easy.

Reply to
Bill M.

Have resolved the problem. A technician from the cable company came by and determined that the return signal was at a too high level (58 dbmv) and since the signal always oscillates (usually upward) the signal gets lost frequently (after exceeding the threshold). The reason why it sudenly happened was that the company was modernising their cable system in the area and the signal was changed somehow. Also in my house there was an old signal amplifier which was the culprit. The techincian removed it and now the signal is good (43 or something).

FYI this is in Portugal. Seems strange they don't keep records of their installations so these sort of problems can be avoided.

Thanks, JH.

Reply to
JH

When you turn off the cable modem for this, be sure to wait at least a minute for it to come back on.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.