Why is my connection breaking!?!

Hey, I need some help desperately. I've got a 2wire 1000SW Homeportal. It used to work fine but now it seems like every other minute the connection breaks and the broadband light starts flashing orange for about 30 seconds or so. I can't really download or play any games online anymore so I'd really like any advice on how to fix this problem. thanks!!

Reply to
Bonehead
Loading thread data ...

I'ts not something you can fix, you need to call your ISP and get them to fix it.

[I'm assuming you haven't added any phones (without DSL splitters) and that you don't own your DSL modem]
Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Intermittant sycnh: Is there any source of EMI near the modem? Possibilities include (but are not limited to): Is it close the CRT or the computer power supply? Is it close to a halogen lamp or cordless phone (esp. the base station for a

900mhz phone)? Is it on the same circuit as a heavy duty or cyclical appliance (microwave oven, refrigerator or fan)? Does any of the wiring run alongside of an AC power or extension cord? Is there any change to the pattern after you power cycle the modem?

If you are an SBCIS customer: call, tell the agent you have intermittant synch and answer no to all the above questions. The matter will then be referred to SBCASI for troubleshooting.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Boner,

If this is a relatively new connection, make sure ALL your phones in your house are plugged into a DSL filter.....

P2E

B> Hey, I need some help desperately. I've got a 2wire 1000SW

Homeportal.

30 seconds or so. I can't really download or play any games

I'd really like any advice on how to fix this

Reply to
Press2Esc

Were you charged for the service call, since the problem was on your side of the wiring?

Reply to
Kay Archer

You should *ALWAYS* test at, and only at, the point of entry.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I had a similar problem earlier this year. In addition the voice phone would not work, but DSL would connect intermittently. I had let it go for a while because it would only break the connection after like a few hours of use and then disconnect - but would lock up the computer when it did. It got worse one day and would hold the connect for a few minutes at most or no connection at worst. Which is when I started calling the ISP.

After working with my ISP and through them the phone company, the problem was finally found and resolved. ISP had no problems on their end. We got the phone company to check out the local telecomm box for the neighborhood with out finding any problems there. Finally they sent a tech to look at my room and the box in my building. The problem was that the physical phone/DSL line from my room to the building's box had a partially cut wire. After cutting and restripping the end of the wire I never had a problem with it again.

Reply to
USMCSgt

I guess I am in a sort of special situation - I live in a barracks, and as such my point of entry is the phone jack in my room. It might be the same for somebody in an apartment. The box in the basement belongs to the phone company, and even with their tools it took them about 15 minutes to find my room's connection (nothing was marked and there are about 70 rooms in my building)

Reply to
USMCSgt

Yeah, that is very different from the typical home or standalone business installation.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.