what type of Cables are needed for router

I am going to need some extra cables for the dsl router. Been searching on ebay, but I am confused of the different types e.g. twisted, straight, etc. What type does a person need?

Reply to
bdeditch
Loading thread data ...

For a typical broadband router, you need a cat5 cable to connect the router WAN port to the DSL modem, and you need cat5 cables to connect each computer to a router LAN port.

For a router/modem combo, you need cat5 cables to connect each computer to a router LAN port, and you need a telephone cable to connect the modem to the phone line. Some people recommend twisted pair for the telephone cable. If the phone cable is short enough that won't matter.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Any ethernet cables would be standard CAT5 or better 'patch' cables unless doing something unusual (like connecting 2 routers LAN2LAN which might require a 'crossover' cable).

As far as modem to phone line, I have not had any trouble using any phone cord (even 25' flat modular extension cord), although, twisted pair is best (round cord).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.