Westell Versalink 327W and home LAN?

Hi,

I have three computers at home -- two notebook and one old computer, which I would like to use as a server (all computers run Debian/Linux, BTW). Notebooks have wireless cards and server-to-be is directly linked to Westell Versalink 327W which is then connected to the Verizon Online DSL. Everything works fine (already for somme time) withh one exception.

IP addresses of all computers are DHCP dynamically generated by router's DHCP internal server and I don't know whether (or how) I could persuade Versalink to act as a DNS server as well, so I can find out what IP addresses individual computers (most importantly the server, notebooks' IP addresses are not that important) have in any given moment.

I would love to use server as NFS server and it is silly to rewrite /etc/fstab everytime I need switch on the server (I don't think I want to have it always on -- it is not the most silent computer in the world). In the same time, I would prefer notebooks to have DHCP dynamic IP addresses, because they are often taken out and then connected to other networks (again, less fiddling with configuration, better).

Any ideas how to either persuade Versalink to act as a LAN DNS server, or how to have some (and only some) computers on LAN having Static IP address?

I have searched on

formatting link
and the only I found which seems to relate is this
formatting link
(Versalink DMZ How to) -- is it what I am looking for? Will the server have always the IP addresses it got when switching to Static IP address?

Thanks a lot for any reply,

Mat?j

Reply to
Matej Cepl
Loading thread data ...

Create an alias interface with a fixed ip address:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:A3:02:A0:AC inet addr:192.168.1.46 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 RX packets:5592 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:4826 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:6907791 (6.5 Mb) TX bytes:389610 (380.4 Kb)

eth0:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:A3:02:A0:AC inet addr:172.23.77.6 Bcast:172.23.77.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1

eth0:0 is the alias used on the local lan. Hosts are identified in /etc/hosts.

dhclient creates the alias when it configures the real interface. You can also create an ailias with ifconfig.

/etc/dhclient.conf: interface "eth0" { send host-name "peregrine"; request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name, interface-mtu; require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers; }

alias { interface "eth0"; fixed-address 172.23.77.6; option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0; }

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters

This is SO COOL!!! Thank you!!! I have changed my /etc/network/interfaces to look like this (remember, this is Debian and we do things easy way ;-)):

# The loopback interface auto lo eth0 eth0:0 iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0:0 inet static address 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0

and now I have 192.168.1.5. Thanks a lot.

Mat?j

Reply to
Matej Cepl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.