Verizon offers lower rates! Why???

Verizon just started offering current DSL subscribers in my area a reduced rate of $29.95 p/mo w/1yr contract. It saves me almost $100 for the year. The cynic in me cannot help but wonder who is coming to town with better/cheaper service.

Yahoo/SBC is not here for DSL, yet... I'm on the southwestern edge of Ventura County, CA. 805 area code.

Any suggestions on finding out...before I commit to a contract with Verizon?

KC

Reply to
kcrispin
Loading thread data ...

It's really quite simple. They want to lock you in for a year. I'm sure there is some kind of early termination penalty.

Having you signed up for a year will also make the corporate balance sheets look better since they can figure that money in projected revenue streams.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

| | It's really quite simple. They want to lock you in for a year. I'm sure | there is some kind of early termination penalty. | | Having you signed up for a year will also make the corporate balance | sheets look better since they can figure that money in projected revenue | streams. | | John | -- | John P. Dearing | A+, Network+, Server+ | To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Early termination penalty = $49.00

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Verizon is getting beaten like most every telco by cable companies that offer a better bundle than they'll ever hope to for the foreseeable future. Right now, one bill takes care of all my digital cable, Internet and VoIP and I couldn't be happier with the service. Verizon's issues are somewhat complicated by the fact that their service is generally inferior to what you'll get from other telcos. I had them for years in NYC and every dealing with them was tortorous, although their offerings generally were rock solid with the exception of DSL in its early days.

Verizon's only sure bet to try and compete over the short term is on price, so that's what they're doing. They also launched VoiceWing, a VoIP service, but that's essentially a resold service they're getting from one of the standalone VoIP providers, in contrast to Time Warner which has its own dedicated service, with a connection to Sprint's network for long distance and "last mile" hookup.

Yahoo! won't provide you its DSL product unless you're in a SBC service area. They're not aiming to go nationwide with it.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

| Verizon is getting beaten like most every telco by cable companies | that offer a better bundle than they'll ever hope to for the | foreseeable future.

Except where Verizon offers FIOS !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Have you looked here:

formatting link
if that is not helpful, search: "dsl provider" "Ventura. CA" exactly as shown. You may find something helpful there Essentially it is matter of competition. Out here is 757 where Verizon is being bothered a bit by Continental Telephone, not only will they sell you dsl service for $29.95, but they are currently offering $5.00 off your regualr phone bill as part of the package---to last as long as you stay with Verizon. Here Continental gives you POTS for $24.95 including all the the extra cost Verizon services, plus $24.95 for the dsl. I think their basic thinking is a lesser profit from a customer is better than no profit from a non-customer. Remember, somehow, Verizon can "rent" their lines to a third party who sells service to you for less than they do and yet all stay in business. Also, remember, they will negotiate---but you have to have something to base it on---just because you think they should won't cut it. In my case, once the year of contracted service (to pay for the modem, etc.) is up, I will probably shift to Continental---unless Verizon can come up with a better deal

Roy VirginiaNewsSource.com

Reply to
royroy

ISPWest is even cheaper at $26.95/mo for one year pp. I am in Oxnard and think highly of their dialup sevice but have no experience with dsl. There an additional $3/mo fee imposed by the telco, however.

Reply to
JB

Given how poorly verizon handles existing IP services I wouldn't hold out much hope for FIOS being better. They strung fiber for FIOS on my street this past Fall. No news on if/when it'll be available or what it'll cost monthly. Let alone what services will come with it. What's more important than what comes with it is what they f*ck around with. DSL providers like speakeasy do a much more reliable job of providing 'unmolested' IP services. Telcos like Suprizon have a VERY nasty tendency to filter, block or otherwise screw up the IP connections provided.

A faster pipe is useless if you can't use it without being nickled-and-dimed to death with artificial service limits or outright blocking.

While I'd certainly prefer a faster pipe I'm not ditching speakeasy anytime soon.

Reply to
wkearney99

| | Given how poorly verizon handles existing IP services I wouldn't hold out | much hope for FIOS being better. They strung fiber for FIOS on my street | this past Fall. No news on if/when it'll be available or what it'll cost | monthly. Let alone what services will come with it. What's more important | than what comes with it is what they f*ck around with. DSL providers like | speakeasy do a much more reliable job of providing 'unmolested' IP services. | Telcos like Suprizon have a VERY nasty tendency to filter, block or | otherwise screw up the IP connections provided. | | A faster pipe is useless if you can't use it without being nickled-and-dimed | to death with artificial service limits or outright blocking. | | While I'd certainly prefer a faster pipe I'm not ditching speakeasy anytime | soon.

I can share that since I have no problems with Verizon the ISP.

Those that have FIOS are thrilled with it !

news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.FIOS

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.