Verizon Newsgroups

Am contemplating Verizon dsl. My current dial-up ISP provides well over 100K newsgroups. Using dial up, is there a list I can get to to see what groups Verizon offers? Or, can someone tell me how many groups they offer and how amenable they are to requests to add groups. I know there are Verizon groups, but I suspect I have to have the service before I can access those groups. If it matters, I am in area code 757 TIA Roy VirginiaNewsSource.com

Reply to
royroy
Loading thread data ...

Roy,

You may wish to investigate the Verizon FAQ:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com® Cisco Resource Center United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

You may wish to investigate Verizon Newsgroups:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com® Cisco Certified Network Engineer Jobs Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

Most of what I saw was complaining. No numbers.

LB

Reply to
LB

A VERY informative site, well worth reading in its entirety for any Verizon DSL Customer. From the site... "If you Outlook Express has finished downloading about 35000 newsgroups available on the Verizon NNTP server, you can now subscribe to the newsgroups you're interested in."

There is much other excellent info.

LB

Reply to
LB

Reply to
royroy

A total of 29842 newsgroups available according to my newsreader.

Reply to
Befuddled

Good post. I am thinking of saving $ by going to DSL.

LB

Reply to
LB

I'm currently seeing nearly 30,000 groups on the Verizon Newsservers.

There are other providers that may have a higher *total* number of newsgroups but the things that matter are *completeness* and

*retention*. What goos is having 60,000 newsgroups if half of the posts are missing or are only around for less than a day?

That said, I'm pretty staisfied with my newsgroup experience at Verizon. My subscribed newsgroups are almost *all* text only groups. I'm not a big binaries person but others have praised Verizon for having excellent completeness and better than average retention.

One longstanding issue is bandwidth saturation during busy hours (mostly evenings). The two server farms (one in DC one in NY) are currently saturating their *GIGABIT* newtorks during busy hours.

The news admins (Rick and Jeremy, really excellent guys BTW!!) have requested additional bandwidth. We'll see if their request is granted.

Final disclaimer - While I am a Verizon Online subscriber, I am also a Verizon employee. My comments are my personal observations as a subscriber and are not to be construed as company policy.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.