Verizon DSL: No internet access on Memorial Day

Hi,

I live in New Jersey, USA and am a Verizon DSL subscriber, could not access the internet for the entire day of May 30, 2005. It was back this morning, May 31 at around 8:00AM. Called Verizon 5 minutes ago and was told that the wait for technical support would be around 15 minutes so elected to call back later. Wrote this post in the meanwhile....Question....How often do VDSL subscribers see cr@p like this?

BTW, had nothing to do with my setup, did the usual, recycle DSL MODEM, reboot computer, ipconfig /release...ipconfig /renew etc..

Reply to
oparr
Loading thread data ...

I was dumb enough to believe that the reliability of internet access would be directly proportional to the reliability of the phone line when it came to DSL.

So true. Tried calling Verizon yesterday and got a message saying they were closed "in observance of Memorial Day". Going to ask them more about this.

Cablevision is the competition where I live too.

Reply to
oparr

This is one of the reasons I think the wrong "talking points" have been used in the whole cable/phone supremacy talks as it relates to high-speed Internet.

Since entering the high-speed data market, cable companies have traditionally been the ones to offer better pricing and better service. You can get a tech rep on the phone 24 hours a day, they have guaranteed appointment schedules for a repair, and on and on. Verizon has none of that.

I've never been happier to stop doing business with a company than I was to dump Verizon completely. I'm moving in a few weeks and will be forced to swap Time Warner with Cablevision, which doesn't thrill me, but my dislike for Cablevision isn't enough to persuade me to do business with Verizon again.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Is there such a thing? Just spoke to a Verizon Tech Rep who told me they have no records of outages once they are corrected. However, I did get a 24 hour DSL Tech Support number out of them.....Here it is......1-800-567-6789. There is also a 24 hour POTS support number as well...Here it is....1-800-980-9999.

This is the second outage in the last 3 months that affected me. On March 28/29 there was another that they admitted to because I called while it was taking place. Called the next day for more details and they had no record of it.

It eliminates DHCP problems being the likely cause. Didn't I say "had nothing to do with my setup" ?

get replies

When I get home.

Reply to
oparr

| Hi, | | I live in New Jersey, USA and am a Verizon DSL subscriber, could not | access the internet for the entire day of May 30, 2005. It was back | this morning, May 31 at around 8:00AM. Called Verizon 5 minutes ago and | was told that the wait for technical support would be around 15 minutes | so elected to call back later. Wrote this post in the | meanwhile....Question....How often do VDSL subscribers see cr@p like | this? | | BTW, had nothing to do with my setup, did the usual, recycle DSL MODEM, | reboot computer, ipconfig /release...ipconfig /renew etc..

I live in Monmouth County New Jersey USA and I had no problem.

I have it for ~5 years and less than .4% downtime.

You most likely had a problem at you Central Office (CO). Have you checked the Verizon status page for local outages ?

"ipconfig /release...ipconfig /renew" won't help. In former BellAtlantic regions PPPoE is used and "ipconfig /release...ipconfig /renew" is used with DHCP not PPPoE

You should really post this all in the private Verizon News Group then you will get replies from only Verizon peers.

news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.adsl

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| | Is there such a thing? Just spoke to a Verizon Tech Rep who told me | they have no records of outages once they are corrected. However, I did | get a 24 hour DSL Tech Support number out of them.....Here it | is......1-800-567-6789. There is also a 24 hour POTS support number as | well...Here it is....1-800-980-9999. | | This is the second outage in the last 3 months that affected me. On | March 28/29 there was another that they admitted to because I called | while it was taking place. Called the next day for more details and | they had no record of it. |

| | It eliminates DHCP problems being the likely cause. Didn't I say "had | nothing to do with my setup" ? |

| | When I get home.

DSL Status Page:

formatting link

Reply to
David H. Lipman

What does ifconfig have to do with PPPoE? What did the logs for whatever does your PPPoE say (modem/router?)?

Just curious, does Verizon give you a backup dialup account? I have been using SBC adsl since 1/2002 (before Yahoo merger) and there have been maybe 2 times that the RAS servers were not responding for PPPoE login (last time was maybe 2 years ago). But their dialup still worked (SBC Yahoo allows 1 PPPoE login and 1 dialup login simultaniously).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Dialup is available as an extra cost option for residential DSL accounts with Verizon Online aDSL.

Dialup is *NOT INCLUDED* with residential DSL, unfortunately.

I guess you can only expect so much for $29.95/month.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

| | Dialup is available as an extra cost option for residential DSL accounts | with Verizon Online aDSL. | | Dialup is *NOT INCLUDED* with residential DSL, unfortunately. | | I guess you can only expect so much for $29.95/month. | | John | -- | John P. Dearing | A+, Network+, Server+ | To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

150 hours used to be part of the contract. However, when I upgraded to 1500/384 kb/s the 150 hours of dial-up was no longer included and became extra.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

What does ifconfig have to do with Windows? I'm not using Unix or Linux.

Reply to
oparr

Verizon and MCI are two of the worst companies on the planet in terms of customer service. Those two clowns deserve each other.

Their service is fine, I just object to the Dolans' use of money to fight threats to monopolies like MSG. It's stupid policy. They have an inferiority complex after suffering one drubbing after another in the cable and pro sports industries.

I heard they're thinking of selling and I would just LOVE it if Time Warner would scoop them up.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.