Verizon DSL in MD problems

I spent an hour on the phone with technical support yesterday, only to be told they could not help me.

I'm experiencing an intermittent problem that happens several times a week, for hours at a time. I can connect to the Verizon DSL service with no problems, but when I ping an IP address, I will see

50-75% packet loss, and/or timeouts. No mail can be downloded. Web pages can be found, but will not load. Verizon help desk runs a "line check," and asks me to verify that I am connected, but can not explain the problem. Then, a few hours later, everything is working fine.

Can anybody explain what is happening, or suggest who at Verizon I should be speaking with? We are about ready to give up and switch to cable modem.

Comicsfan

Reply to
comicsfan2001
Loading thread data ...

| I spent an hour on the phone with technical support yesterday, | only to be told they could not help me. | | I'm experiencing an intermittent problem that happens several | times a week, for hours at a time. I can connect to the Verizon DSL | service with no problems, but when I ping an IP address, I will see | 50-75% packet loss, and/or timeouts. No mail can be downloded. Web | pages can be found, but will not load. Verizon help desk runs a "line | check," and asks me to verify that I am connected, but can not explain | the problem. Then, a few hours later, everything is working fine. | | Can anybody explain what is happening, or suggest who at Verizon I | should be speaking with? We are about ready to give up and switch to | cable modem. | | Comicsfan

Could be a problem in the MD and DC region.

Have you checked the status page ?

Have you looked for peers having problems in the private Verizon ADSL News Group ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Have you checked your machine for a virus, trojans, spyware?

Reply to
Befuddled

Have you done any troubleshooting on your end to see where the packet loss occurs? Often tracert (or traceroute) can help determine if it is at a particular router (although, some routers may not respond go that).

Connecting your modem directly to the NID (usually gray box outside) can help rule out in home phone wiring problems (interference, bad filter or phone device missing a filter). Unless you have a central filter/splitter, every phone/fax device should have a DSL filter, except the DSL modem. For example my water meter is read by phone, so I have a filter on it.

But if you have a home LAN, don't overlook something within your LAN. I have sometimes had a 10/100 nic on a switch go into a frenzy unless I force it back to 10baseT, and one broadband router that would not autonegotiate with pc card nics unless the nic was forced back to 10baseT.

If you are using public P2P file sharing or have a worm that chokes your upload or uses up all NAT ports, that can slow your download.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.