Verison FIOS, D-Link DI624, 2.43DDM firmware?

[I hope this is an appropriate place to talk about FIOS]

I've got Verizon FIOS at 15M/2M, and they gave me a D-Link DI614 router running some special version of firmware, 2.43DDM, does anyone know what that is, what features it adds, and if it's security is any good?

It apparently allows Verizon to remotely manage it, or something, and I'm concerned with having my LAN exposed to something that's remotely managable, so I'd like to add a firewall. However, every SOHO router I've tried so far(*) has fallen over with high levels of traffic after between a few minutes and a couple of days.

(*) Linksys {BEFSR41, BEFSR41V4, WRT54G}, Belkin F5D7231-4, NetGear WGR614 all have various problems with lots of traffic.

Any reccomendations on routers that can handle heavy loads without falling over would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Ah, thanks, I'll give it a try.

445 on *any*

Yeah, except the Belkin F5D7213-4, which hangs if you add those to the blocking list (plus 443 & 593 UDP for DCOM blocking). Sigh.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

| [I hope this is an appropriate place to talk about FIOS] | | I've got Verizon FIOS at 15M/2M, and they gave me a D-Link DI614 | router running some special version of firmware, 2.43DDM, does anyone | know what that is, what features it adds, and if it's security is any | good? | | It apparently allows Verizon to remotely manage it, or something, and | I'm concerned with having my LAN exposed to something that's remotely | managable, so I'd like to add a firewall. However, every SOHO router | I've tried so far(*) has fallen over with high levels of traffic after | between a few minutes and a couple of days. | | (*) Linksys {BEFSR41, BEFSR41V4, WRT54G}, Belkin F5D7231-4, NetGear | WGR614 all have various problems with lots of traffic. | | Any reccomendations on routers that can handle heavy loads without | falling over would be greatly appreciated! | | Thanks!

What's wrong with the Verizon private News Group...

news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.fios

As for security, as always I suggest blocking TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and

445 on *any* SOHO Router.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.