Switch from Charter cable to AT&T DSL??

For the 2+ years we've lived here (W. Michigan) we've had Charter Cable

-- initially 2Mbps, then upgraded to 3Mbps. In all that time I think we've had just two outages.

Now AT&T (formerly SBC) is offering "up to 6.0 Mbps" DSL service for less than we are paying Charter (especially as Charter is charging an extra $10/mo. because we don't have their TV service).

What is "up to 6.0 Mbps" likely to mean in practice? We are 11,700 ft. from the CO.

Is it possible to install one DSL filter in the line that goes to the FAX machine, phone and DirecTV receivers? Or does every device need its own DSL filter? Do DirecTV receivers and DSL play nice together?

How reliable is SBC/AT&T's DSL service?

Is the DSL modem truly operating-system-agnostic? I use a non-mainstream OS that suits my needs and have no reason to switch -- but there is one WinXP machine on the network that could be used for configuration if push comes to shove.

Is there a better mode than the Siemens 4100 that AT&T and BestBuy sell?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Loading thread data ...

not available for you, 6.5 Kft (CO), unless you are near a dsl provisioned rt: 8.5 Kft (RT). or if you prefer, it means for you: "up to 3.0Mbps."

one filter per 'in use' jack, not device, please. if you put a filter on the phone line, yes.

almost as reliable as the phone company. the same should be true of cable since the higher levels of transport are the same

the registration website only works with ms java. you will _have_ to use windows to create your memberid.

there are modems with built in wireless routers and 2port wired switches (2wire 2700 currently being shipped by att) available if you are connecting more than one computer without your own router. if you do have a router (that supports pppoe), you could use an older modem such as the speedstream

5100(a) or 5360.
Reply to
Kay Archer

Kay Archer wrote in part:

I'd expect more like 1.5 Mbps at this range, even over good wire.

You can also put in a "whole house" splitter at the NID. This technically the preferred solution unless the premise wiring is pristine.

Yes, but AFAIK cable has to put active bridges in pedestals, while DSL only needs actives (DSLAM) in RTs. Theoretically, this should make DSL more reliable. YMMV.

Funny, I use Linux and FreeBSD BSD and never had any trouble (SBC in Houston). I recommend a hardware router. Follow the Mac instructions. I put the registration userid/pw into the router, let it connect, connected to the registration website and registered. Then I reloaded the router with my new userid/pw and I was in business.

I prefer the two-box setup. I've fried one DSL modem in 5 years, and I expect to lose'em (they seem a little tougher than v.90 modems). I'd rather not lose my router and have to reconfigure the blasted thing. Dumb box replacement is easier.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Thanks for that information. I just got off the phone with AT&T; the rep told me (before i got kicked off a lousy line) that they would "guarantee" 3Mbps download speeds but I could get up to 6Mbps. The natural follow-up question was: "So why don't I just pay for the 3Mpps service?" which was answered with: "But then we guarantee only 1.5Mbps."

OK.

That can be arranged.

I already have a wired/wireless router/switch (Linksys WRT54G), so everything should be fine with the Speedstream 4100, I guess -- and it seems that tha latter is almost free after rebates at BestBuy.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The rep to whom I just spoke says they "guarantee" a minimum of 3Mbps down.

Is this whole house splitter something I would have to buy separately, or is this included in the installation kit?

Our cable service in NY (Optimum Online -- 10Mbps down, and it's been upgraded to 15Mbps since we left) and here (Charter) has been pretty reliable, although not quite as reliable as the phone service (Nynex/Bell Atlantic/Verizon in NY, SBC here).

Good point. I already have a Linksys WRT54G.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

snipping has occured in this document.

he's a salesman, get it in writing...

separate. att will install for ~$100 (~$60 for installation, ~$34 for the nid, added to your phone bill).

how many phone jacks do you have in use? how old is the wiring to those jacks? and is it "homerun" wiring?

one of the included filters can be used for an nid (instructions at broadbandreports.com) but they are not made for it. see discussions at broadbandreports.com. note: nid = pots splitter = "whole house filter", you would install a separate telephone jack just for the dsl

no argument there

pppoe = the memberid (email address, _including_ @sbcglobal.net) of the primary account + password. leave all the other pppoe settings blank or default

Reply to
Kay Archer

most was answered in a reply to Robert R., however;

the 4100 will work just fine with a router. you have 2 choices, connect the modem directly to one computer to run the installation (including registration) and then "bridge" the modem (resetting it is the faster and easier way) or connect the modem to the router and put the registration id in it to do a manual registration.

manual registration instructions:

formatting link
or

formatting link

Reply to
Kay Archer

Percival P. Cassidy wrote in part:

OK. I've never heard of any guaranteed DSL.

Typically a separate purchase, although AT&T might have an install kit with one in it instead of the dangling filters.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Unless there are stingers or poopers in the line you're shit out of luck. Too far too bad. ______________________"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message news:qh6bg.50$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga... My Sig Just me Alphonzo > For the 2+ years we've lived here (W. Michigan) we've had Charter Cable

Reply to
El Marko

If you switch, do not use the SBC/ATT DSL CD to install. It will install a bunch of crap. Search with google for 'SBC Yahoo DSL Manual Install' for directions.

Reply to
SD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.