Single Dongle For Shared Line?

I'm thinking about running a dedicated twisted pair from the customer interface to my 'puter - per tuning/optimization advice on LavaSoft's site.

Given that, I'm wondering if I can put just a single DSL dongle between the CI box and the other branch of the line that would then serve only my phones.

If it would work, besides saving on dongles, it would also offer the advantage of not having to worry about somebody plugging in a non-dongled phone.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
Loading thread data ...

Exactly right. My hookup is done this way. Squeezing the dongle/filter into the telco NID box was a challenge.

BTW, I would suggest *shielded* twisted 2 conductor wire with one end of shield grounded.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

Yup, I do essentially this and it works fine. I've since found out about whole-house splitters that can handle the higher ring current you might experience with a whole house full of phones. I got mine at

formatting link
, though I've since gotten fiber, so should probably remove it. The nearly free solution seemed to work well. 8*)

I used a two-line jack and a short patch cord to get the "filtered output" back to the second line, then attached all my house phones to the second line.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Yes, but I didn't know that the Allen Tell device existed when I put my kludge together. Now of course, I should replace the dongle with a short wire, and avoid all DSL filters...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Reading the description of the Allen Tel device, I don't understand why you had to do this. Doesn't it provide "DSL only" and "everything else" outputs?

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Per Reed:

Can anybody put a name on this stuff besides the description?

Sounds pretty obvious to me, but I went down to the local Radio Shack today and nobody knew what I was talking about.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I used Radio Shack Cat# 278-513, 2 conductor, shielded, 24 gauge,

50' for $8 Seems like RS clerks only know how to take cell phone orders anymore. I once attended a recruiting session for RS. They much prefer to hire people with absolutely no background in the products. Upsell is their game, come in for a watch battery, sell you a satellite dish.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

Ah, yes "You've got questions, we've got blank stares." My local one isn't bad, but you really gotta know what you're looking for...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

My last three visits have gotten the response "There is no such thing". On at least two of those visits I showed them the item in their own catalogue. Maybe I'll try them again in another year or two. I use Digi-key for serious items and Cyberguys for the less serious stuff.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.