Sharing a static IP address with DLink G604T

Greetings

We have a static IP address (a direct connection to the internet with no proxies or firewall), which we wish to share with a DLink G604T. I have configured the router as per the manual instructions (I set my IP address to 10.1.1.x and logged into the DLink menu and ran the wizard).

I have successfully been able to program it to assign IP addresses with DHCP (eg. if I say 10.1.1.70 to 10.1.1.90 it naturally assigns

10.1.1.70 to the first computer that logs on).

Now I know our static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway (which is slightly different to the IP address) and also the DNS server IP addresses. However, when I set my computer to obtain its ip address automatically (which it does!) any attempt to ping either of the DNS servers or any internet server fails.

If I connect the cable back to the notebook and use the correct IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS the connection works fine again.

Assuming I've done something wrong, can you please list some thing I should double-check? I assume this should be a fundamentally basic configuration (as illustrated that DLink thinks to add a wizard where you can specify STATIC IP ADDRESS and complete accordingly) but are there any menu items on the DLink that may have been overlooked in configuring sharing a static IP address? (could you make a list - would really appreciate it!)

Thank you very much!

Reply to
tonganews
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.