Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
November 15, 2005, 2:58 pm
rate this thread
Started my DSL career with "Don't need no steenking WiFi" so I got a plain old
LinkSys BEFSX41 "FireWall Router".
Now I've just replaced my old PDA with a Palm TX and want to dabble in WiFi.
Consequently I ran out and bought a LinkSys WRT54G "Wireless G Broadband
Started out by trying to piggyback it onto the existing firewall router and then
somebody who knows about this stuff said I was wasting my time - that the new
router would fulfill the firewall function 100% and I should just switch over to
that and retire the old router.
Spent about four hours last nite trying to do that, but could not get the new
router to allow my PC to talk to the ISP.
Since I live and die by my internet connection, I reverted to plan "A" - trying
to piggyback the new router.
This at least keeps me connected...
So far, I can ping both routers from the PC and I can get the TX to connect to
the new router under WEP.
What's missing is that the TX cannot get an address name like "www.fatbelly.com"
- which is pingable from the PC.
Seems like it sb some little parm that I'm setting wrong somewhere.
Anybody been here?
ISP --- DSL Modem --- FireWall Router --- PC
- » Pinging my router from the outside, a PPPOE question.
- — Next thread in » Digital Subscriber Line
- » How do you use those /29 sticky (static) IPs from SBC and be protected?
- — Previous thread in » Digital Subscriber Line
- » CenturyLink leaves hazardous hole, mess in frustrated homeowners' yards [telecom&...
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum