SBC DSL blocks port 80?

Does SBC DSL block port 80?

I cannot use port 80 for my web server (IIS 5.1) running on my WinXP box, but nonstandard ports work great.

Reply to
antonyliu2002
Loading thread data ...

It is quite likely that they do indeed block port 80. Many DSL providers do unless you are purchasing a static IP business connection.

Verizon Online blocks port 80 in the areas that were formerly Bell Atlantic and some additional areas as well.

You could use a dynamic IP redirection service that would redirect requests to your (probably changing) IP and also to whatever port you choose to use.

Cheers!

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Hi, John,

Thanks. Yes, I also suspect that SBC DSL blocks the standard web port

1. I cannot find the info from their web.

I use DNSExit dynamic IP updating service with a domain signed up with them. It is pretty good.

It is pityful that my web server has to listen to a nonstandard port.

John P. Dear> > Does SBC DSL block port 80?

Reply to
antonyliu2002

No, SBC (now ATT/Yahoo) does not block port 80. I use no-ip.com for dynamic DNS, and I have no problem accessing apache on my Linux box in Illinois on dynamic PPPoE IP from an external shell account in Texas.

SBC only blocks 2 ports related to Windows worms (MS Blaster or Sasser?), and outgoing port 25 other than to their own SMTP servers due to worms that include their own smtp server (port 25 can be unblocked upon request).

If you are using a router, maybe there is some problem with your router or its configuration (or if you enabled remote router config from WAN side). Make sure you test it from elsewhere on internet (or dialup), because if you are testing it from another PC on same LAN, many routers do not do loopback (LAN2LAN via public WAN IP).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Hey, David,

You are right! SBC DSL does not block port 80.

This is confirmed just a moment ago, I removed my Linksys WRT54G router and directly connected my WinXP box to the DSL Modem. Then I changed the IIS listening port back to 80.

It worked!

Hmm, what do I need to do to Linksys WRT54G router so that it does not block port 80?

Thanks.

David Efflandt wrote:

Reply to
antonyliu2002

You need to set up port forwarding so that port 80 goes to the (fixed, static) IP address of your Webserver machine.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hi, William,

I tried, but it did not work.

This is my ipconfig /all output:

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mycomputername Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 01-70-39-0A-F2-B9 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 151.164.11.201 151.164.20.201

And with my WRT54 Router, I have:

Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable IIS 80 80 Both 192.168.1.102 Yes

I still cannot check out my webpage remotely if I let IIS listen to port 80.

What is go> snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
antonyliu2002

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. By default Linksys starts DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.100. When I use fixed addresses on the LAN side I keep them below 192.168.1.100. If you haven't changed the default then having a fixed address in the DHCP range of addresses could be a problem, you could end up with 2 machines with 192.168.1.102.

Reply to
Some One

No, I don't think that the router is able to assign two computers the same ip.

Reply to
antonyliu2002

Note that Some One said 'fixed IP', the premise being that a PC has been given a fixed IP within the DHCP pool; the DHCP server won't know it is there, and, since it has not assigned that IP, can assign that IP to another PC that requests one.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com top-posted:

How did it get those numbers?

When I said:

I meant you need to set a static IP on that machine outside the normal range of the DHCP server.

Other than that it should work, try putting that machine in the DMZ...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hi Rick,

Note that in theory, DHCP should check (such as via a PING) to see if the address is about to allocate is currently being used, before it allocates it. Of course not all DHCP server implementations may actually do this.

Cheers............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.