SBC - do I need a tech install to get a splitter?

Yep. Pick up a high-quality splitter yourself. It should be around $35 if you can mount it indoors and a bit more if you need one in a waterproof, mountable box for outdoors. Connect it to the phone line as close to where the telephone company brings it in as possible. Connect the phone output from the splitter to the alarm system and then to the rest of your house.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz
Loading thread data ...

I'm planning to order SBC/Yahoo DSL. Since I have a monitored alarm system, I figure I'll probably need a splitter. SBC wants $200 for a tech install if I have an alarm system. I'm capable of doing wiring and installing most types of equipment myself, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to get them to send me a splitter for a self-install. Do they ever do this, or will I be forced to shell out $200 to have some guy hook up a couple of wires outside? In case logic and reason don't work with the drone on the phone, does anyone have any ideas how to do the install without the big fee?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Excellent! Thanks guys, this looks like it's probably just what I need.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I'd hold off on buying a splitter if you are ordering the DSL modem self install kit from SBC. The last couple of SBC installs I've done for people had a splitter and 3 or 4 individual filters in the same box as the DSL modem.

You can always purchase a splitter and or filters if they did not include them. Just a thought on saving a couple of bucks.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Mark,

Point your browser to this site for basic wiring tips.

formatting link
then look at
formatting link
for some info about line seizing alarm filters. Security systems are often connected to the phone line in a different manner than ordinary telephones because they have the ability to "seize the line." This feature allows them to interrupt any current phone call in order to dial out to the alarm company. Without this feature, an intruder would be able to keep the alarm from dialing out simply by picking up any inside phone and dialing a digit.

With a little research and a few bucks spent on quality equipment, you can do this yourself.

Reply to
Gerald Masgai

The other people answering the OP were speaking of "splitters" that filter the entire house from one location...

The included filter can be used that way (instructions at

formatting link
). But better quality may be a better choice in this type of installation.

Reply to
Kay Archer

I've never heard of a splitter being included in a self-install kit. And a splitter with filters makes no sense at all. If you have a splitter, what are the filters for?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I strongly advise against using these special alarm DSL filters. You are much better off splitting the line yourself and running the phone output of the splitter into the alarm normally. There is no rational reason that your DSL connection should be run into and then back out of your alarm box.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

SNIP - - - - - - SNIP

Kay When I responded to Mark's Original Post, I was primarily concerned about his mention of an Alarm System. A Proper Telephone Line Seizure connection is critical for proper alarm communications. That is why I recommended a DSL splitter (sometimes called a Trunk Filter)

As you know,Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) service combines broadband internet with phone service on a single pair of wires . DSL installations are often performed by the customer (?self-installation?), which is basically the phone company mailing you a modem kit and requiring you to install a filter on every telephone, fax machine, satellite receiver, etc.

Most security service firms strongly recommend you do not perform a self installation (un-split at the NID). Instead, they would prefer that you require your DSL provider split the phone line into a (POTS Plain Old Telephone Service) line and Internet (DSL) line at the NID (network interface device).

You will then have two connections to your house: One for the telephone system, and one for Internet connection. Your phone wires will carry only the kind of signals your phone (and alarm) equipment was designed to recognize. Unless you have the POTS line split at the NID, there is a risk of the security system not communicating with the monitoring center. If self installed (un-split at the NID) DSL is your only choice for Internet connection, then a special alarm DSL filter is recommended. This filter is made specifically for security systems and is not like the filters mailed to you by DSL providers or available at Radio Shack. For wireing instructions see

formatting link
Failure to properly install an alarm DSL filter results in loss of telephone line seizure. Line seizure is a form of connection that gives alarm signals priority use of the phone line. Even if a telephone line is malfunctioning, off the hook, or broken on the premises, your alarm can still make the emergency call because it is connected directly to the phone service at the phone box.

Reply to
Gerald Masgai

SNIP - - - - SNIP

David,

I agree with your logic to prevent the high band signal from passing to the alarm system. That's the reason for inserting a filter/splitter at the NID. You can do it either way; neither system is better than the other. They are just different ways to accomplish the same objective, which is to enable an alarm system to function properly on a DSL service. Please check the wiring diagram again! The high band (DSL) does not run thru the alarm because the filter/splitter will only allow the low band (POTS) signal to pass to and from the alarm.

Reply to
Gerald Masgai

Good.

Exactly.

No, splitter at the NID is superior to splitter at the alarm.

If that were the objective, you would be right. However, IMO, the objective is to make a DSL perform ideally with an alarm system. For that, they are not equal.

That would be correct, if the alarm splitter were placed at the NID. But it's never done that way. If you get the alarm-specific splitter, it is always placed as part of the alarm, inside of the alarm's shielded case. This results in the DSL signal going to the alarm and then back out, with unshielded DSL wiring inside the alarm's shielded case.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.