Remote Desktop: One Way, But Not The Other?

I'm on a router connected to Verizon's FIOS.

The other person's PC is connected directly to a Verizon DSL modem.

If I issue a Remote Assistance invitation to the other PC, it can get to my desktop: no problem.

OTOH, if they issue an invitation to me, I'm unable to connect to their desktop.

All the appropriate checkboxes seem tb checked.

I'm wondering it if might be something connected with the other PC not being behind a router.

?
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
Loading thread data ...

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in part:

Exactly. Your router also acts like a firewall and rejects _all_ incoming packets _except_ those from an established TCP session. These TCP sessions are established by outbound requests.

Obviously a big security win.

You can allow some packets inbound according to your router configuration pages. Usually under "servers" or "port forwarding". Make sure the servers on those ports do not have vulnerabilities.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Per Robert Redelmeier:

Most of that is going right over my head.

But at a gross level, it sounds backwards - like my PC sb the one resistant to allowing access by the other one instead of the way it is - which is that the other PC won't allow mine to access it.

Also, somewhere under Assistance Request it seems to assert that it takes card of Windows Firewall automagically. Of course, no mention is made of the router..... so maybe we're back to my not fully understanding what you said above.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No, your PC isn't resisting access. Your hardware firewall will not allow the request in because it started from outside. It only allows data in that is on a connection started from the inside.

MS-Windows firewall is a software appendage onto the MS-Windows OS. It can certainly be programmed to pass RA. But how will your external router (a small computer) know anything about MS-RA? It just shovels packets.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Per Robert Redelmeier:

But it's the *other* end that has the problem. My PC allows access. The other end, however, resists access - and it is not behind a router, unless the DSL modem counts as such.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It has nothing to do with who access what and everything to do with who starts the conversation. You previously posted:

Sure, your PC opens the TCP link through your router.

Of course not. Your router discards the invitation (link not opened from inside), so your PC sees nothing to reply to.

Either enable the firewall bypass, or find a way that your computer can issue a request "I want to control you" that the other could accept. Its request "Please control me" doesn't make it through your firewall.

The router's security model is _very_ simple: who started the link. It knows nothing about what is shared or who has control over what.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.