reasonable bandwidth split

I have a Zyxel Prestige 650HW ADSL Gateway (

formatting link
With the WLAN card. My own computer is connected to one of the LAN ports of the 'box' and my neighbour is sharing my internet connection via the WLAN.

I'd like to use p2p programs, but they seem to eat up a lot of the bandwidth, sometimes preventing my neighbour to get any...

I know about bandwidth limiting inside winmx forexample, but is it not possible to configure the 'adsl box' in such a way that it would manage the bandwidth in a fair way between the two connections (or more connections if needed).

I have tried but It does not seem to work (under adv.settings/BW manager/summary), even if I set the limits for WLAN & LAN and scheduler is 'fairness based', it does not seem to be fair.. just like my LAN connection would have somehow a 'primary' status. And if I try to 'ADD Child Classes' where I could actually give a 'priority value' for my homecomputer.. and a higher priority value for my neighbour, that way I was hoping that he would have been able to 'kick in' his computer... all I managed to do was jam the whole connection for both.

I have tried to search the web for days now, without finding out weather it is even in princible possible to configure such an 'adsl box' (gateway, router, whatever that is...) in a reasonable way... I mean when one of us is not using the connection the other would get all the bandwidth, but once the other computer starts asking for bandwidth, the 'box' would automatically limit the bandwidth of the other, as much as needed, untill both have about half (if that is what they happen to need at the time).

I have found a lot of similar questions, but no good answers (maybe I am just not a good searcher ;-). But it does seems strange if the above mentioned setup would be impossible in todays world, the prestige is afterall relatively new and one would imagine that this kind of bandwidth management would have been thought when designing such a machine.

I just find it a bit unreasonable to permanently limit the bandwidth for either of the computers, since my neighbour is not using the connection very often...

All the help, hints, links etc... would be highly appreciated

Reply to
Jo Ku
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.