Re: The ON/OFF power debate and "energy independence"

kingpen wrote on Sat, Aug 26 2006 @6:10 am:

Is there an electrical power shortage? Sure, we should > should conserve energy. I believe there is an abundance > of electrical power. High power consuption devices should > be our concern not a 5-7 watt device. Paying a few extra > pennies a year for powering a 5 watt device shouldn't be > problem for most people.

But that's just the same excuse that has us in a growing bind: "It's just a little bit of power. I can pay the bill." The problem is it all adds up when millions make the same decisions. We should minimize both the big and small power-hogs at all times. I think we could easily cut back a third on our (home) energy use right now. Most people simply don't try. They leave TVs on all night and lights on in empty rooms, or for show.

As for electrical power being "plentiful," you have to look at what's generating it and how many more people will consume it in the future. Look at all the stories about strained power grids and rolling blackouts. Our "solution" is just to build more plants, not curb consumption. America is the most profligate nation on Earth, with population growth always pushing up demand. Americans should not be offended by that fact, they should be called to action. Turning off a computer & modem is one of many steps.

N.C.

"You push a little more power into Atlanta. A little more air- conditioners for your smug little suburb, and you know what's gonna happen? We're gonna to rape this whole goddamned landscape. We're gonna rape it!"

("Deliverance" intro)

Reply to
George Orwell
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.