Re: Speedstream 5360 DSL modem died, now I have a headache!

Hi folks,

> >I tried to post this question over on the forums at dsldepot.com. I >even stayed under their very difficult 500-character limit, but my >article does not seem to be posted. > >I signed up with SBC DSL in 2003. SBC sent me their approved modem, a >Speedstream 5360. A year ago I added a Linksys WRT54G wireless hub/ >router to my local network. Everything was working fine. > >The DSL service is now run by AT&T. Five days ago, I lost my >connection. I can reconnect sporadically using the Speedstream modem, >but it can take several attempts to range and lock, and it can get >disconnected just as easily. > >AT&T told me that I should go buy my own modem now, as the old one was >out of warranty. I visited three local retail shops and found that no >one sells a "dumb" (I believe the technical term is "transparent >bridging," please correct me if I'm wrong) DSL modem any more. The >manufacturers all include a router, DHCP server and firewall in the >modem box now. I bought an Actiontec GT701. It ranges and locks on >the first try, and it doesn't kick me off. > >Before I left the store, I knew that I would need to disable some of >the duplicated features on my Actiontec and my Linksys in order to >restore full function to my LAN. I can't have two NATs, or two DHCP >servers, on one network. Well, I've tried a dozen different >configurations, and I can't get the Linksys integrated back into the >chain. Right now, I can only connect a single computer to the >Internet through the Actiontec modem. > >Now, while I will certainly consider advice which would allow me to >continue to use the Actiontec modem, I think I would rather not spend >any more of my time on networking issues. I had a network engineer-in- >training here to help me, and he couldn't make my setup work either. >He told me that older versions of the Linksys firmware had some bugs >which might be affecting our ability to make these two devices work >together. Before I deepen my troubles by attempting a router firmware >upgrade, I want to consider getting another dumb modem, if I can. > >I can pick up used Speedstream 5360's easily on eBay, in some cases >fresh out of the box, for around $25.00. The Actiontec set me back >$60.00, and it has features I don't need or even want. > >But do I want another Speedstream 5360? My engineer friend says that >these particular modems are known for burning out. I have found >several related devices which I THINK are "dumb" DSL modems: D-Link >DSL 2320B, Zoom ADSL Bridge Modem 5515, SpeedStream 4100, SpeedStream >5100. But since they all appear to be discontinued, I can't get >specifications for these to confirm that they would be drop-in >replacements for the 5360. > >If you were in my position, which modem would you recommend, and why? >

I cross posted my reply to comp.dcom.xdsl, which may be a better group to discuss your issue.

Since your new modem/router is connecting solidly, it does sound like your old modem did fail. One thing you could check with the old modem is to see if the power supply is bad. If you could get another power supply of the same type, try it and see if it maintains sync.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I would try is to configure the Actiontec router like your Linksys was. If that doesn't work, then see if you can see about flashing the Actiontec if there is updated firmware. Next, you could try to bridge the Actiontec and make the Linksys work. If that fails, then you should see about flashing the firmware on the Linksys and try again with the Actiontec bridged.

If none of that works, then see about buying another modem on Ebay.

Gary E

-- |Gary A. Edelstein | snipped-for-privacy@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply) |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I missed the right newsgroup.

The Speedstream 5360 uses an 18 VAC, 800 mA wall wart. 18 VAC is not the most common power supply, but I'll rummage through my box of old electronics and see whether I have one that matches.

Should that fail, I prefer the idea of lobotomizing the Actiontec DSL modem/router to messing with the Linksys router/WAP. I'd rather stick with the router I already know, instead of learning a new one. There are two different transparent bridging mode settings on the Actiontec

-- I don't know the difference between the two modes yet. I also don't know for sure that transparent bridging mode would achieve the same result as my old Speedstream 5360, and I am seeking confirmation of that notion before I try it.

Actiontec considers my problem to be too high-level for their Tier 1 tech support. They want me to pay ANOTHER $25.00 for a Tier 2 technician to answer my questions! The manual inside the GT701 box is a cheap little pamphlet, with almost no information beyond how to plug the device in. I feel a bit railroaded by the company.

The discussion at this link --

formatting link
is quite similar to my concerns.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your | | power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux! | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Uptime Downtime kWh generated kWh consumed | | 939.4 days 14 hours 17188 17532 | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
Reply to
John Ladasky

I highly recommend Flowpoint/Speedstream high-end routers in the 5800 series; there is a huge amount of documentation for them, they are a 'business class' device designed for high reliability, have a variety of management and control options, and they provide a bridging capability absent from other products. I use a 5861 as the front-end to our border router running OpenBSD, a similar concept to your configuration. Best of all, acquisition cost is very low if you shop the auction market (e.g. eBay).

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

The DSL Reports forum discussion does touch on all your issues as far as I can tell. You will need to determine if the old modem did PPPoE or PPPoA on its own or if the Linksys did that logon for you or if your provider doesn't use those and uses DHCP. That will determine your setup. My understanding is AT&T doesn't use DHCP, but perhaps that can vary by location.

I also understand that AT&T configures their modems with software on a client machine and you have to enter user account information through the software to get the modem to connect correctly. However, I don't know if that is your situation.

As for determining the proper bridge mode and configuring the new modem/router, there normally is a complete manual on the CD that comes with the unit or posted online at the Actiontec site, if you can find it. The complete manual should tell you the difference between the modes.

Gary E

-- |Gary A. Edelstein | snipped-for-privacy@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply) |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.