Re: Dial-up holdouts ask: Why go to broadband?

There was some rather nasty feedback on Verison actually removing copper from the house if you used their Fiber to the Home service so you couldn't change providers. Don't see any reason to think that will not become an up and coming idea amongst others.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

From the house, or from the outside plant. I cannot see verizon going into people's homes to remove copper from private homes.

Reply to
Dana

From the street to the door. Of course that is basically the same thing as depriving one of copper, even if it remains in the house itself.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

OK. While you are correct that removing the copper plant is not warranted, incumbent telcos are facing competition from Cable companies, and even Wimax and Cellular systems are now giving increasing competition pressures to the local phone companies. Of course this is a benefit to the local people.

Reply to
Dana

In comp.dcom.xdsl Kurt Ullman wrote in part:

Well, they might have tried, but VZ couldn't remove the outside plant because it doesn't belong to them. It belongs to the LEC.

Inside the NID, they could tear out wire (with the owners consent, probably unavailable on a rental) but that would just cost them money.

Most likely they ran fiber to their own NID & jumpered into premises wiring and cable.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Yes it does belong to them. Verizon is the ILEC for those areas now. Pretty soon we'll be back to one telco LEC.

They did that too. But also removed the copper from the pole/pedestal to the home in the process.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

In comp.dcom.xdsl Doug McIntyre wrote in part:

Well, in those areas it could. But it wouldn't be very long before the PUC extended its' control to cover fiber, including allowing CLEC-type access.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

| > Bear in mind that it's a big world and not everybody has very | > much money. | >

| > $30/month may be small change for some, but it's a lot of money | > for others. | > -- | > PeteCresswell | | Chew on this, when copper wiring is eventually replaced, dialup | will cease to work, and they people will have to choose a | broadband offering.

????

For giggle and grins we hooked a dial up lap top to a VoIP system. We were able to make the connection and it worked. We did not do any speed test as this was part of a bar bet.

Reply to
NotMe

"Jeff Liebermann"

| >I don't mind at all the grand brats getting involved (and screwing up the | >systems) as that means they are physically visiting. Even if there is no | >real conversation the old folk do get a great kick out of the grand kids and | >others just being there. I have one former Marine DI that gets a real kick | >out of playing the Pony Lov game with his 7 y.o. grand daughter. | >

| >He had me set up two user names. One for his private use that is PW | >protected and one for when his grand kids visit. FWIW the 7 y.o, gave the | >old guy a WebKin doll so they can 'play' remotely. | | Nice. Abandonment by the relatives is a common problem. It's part of | the American way of aging and it sucks. I've been there myself and | can't offer any simple solution. I can fix the computers, but not the | relatives.

The inability to address the abandonment by friends and relatives is one of the reason me and mine (me/the wife/kids and grand kids) are involved with Hospice. ( I recommend to all to check into the local program and at least take the Hospice orientation classes. Not everyone is made out to do the work but taking the classes will give one a clear look into themselves.)

A side comment: through my Hospice work I've met and become friends with men who were on Iow Jima, Battan, flew B17s over Germany, P40s in China, were crew with Dolittle, landed on the beaches in Normandy, etc. Even if the stories were embellished by 50 years of selective memory the hearing was an enormous experience for me. The stories told by the ladies that stayed home were another eye opener. Stories from Korea and NAM were not quite so pleasant but deserved the telling and the hearing. I expect before long to be dealing with Gulf War vets and their families.

Reply to
NotMe

The last security update (2007-007) for Mac OS X was more than 14MB.

Granted, you can survive without all those updates; but if you want to keep a Mac reasonably current, you need high speed access or a friend who has it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Per NotMe:

It's probably too late for them, but my reaction to a few (*very* few... but nonetheless...) similar experiences is that I really wish I'd recorded the conversations. Back then, it would have been a challenge, but now with compact digital video cams... or even a video-capable cell phone....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Under the protocols for Hospice (NDA), lacking a specific written release, I can't disclose what we talk about.

Part of what allows the patent to talk about these things is a clear understanding on my part about the nature of our relationship with regard to the NDA.

I expect that even asking would shut the gate for many of my friends. (By that time we are friends)

Reply to
NotMe

onbroadbandasdialup?" I guess there are those that don't mind staring

Surely one of the best reasons for having a dial-up account is that your computer is less likely to be attacked by "evil hackers", since with broadband your computer is connected to the internet all the time. Even if dial-up is slower, that is relatively unimportant

Reply to
virgmob007

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net hath wroth:

Go back a few messages to:

and see item #2.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

| | Surely one of the best reasons for having a dial-up account is that | your computer is less likely to be attacked by "evil hackers", since | with broadband your computer is connected to the internet all the | time. Even if dial-up is slower, that is relatively unimportant | They make ON/OFF switches to address that eventuality.

Reply to
NotMe

In comp.dcom.xdsl snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote in part:

Dial-up is definitely _not_ any more secure than broadband.

"evil hackers" very seldom target any specific machine. They launch worms and trojans that attack machines indiscriminately and cannot tell dial-up from broadband.

Dial-up may be less valuable to a botnet, but it is also easier to attack since it very seldom is protected by a hardware firewall/router, usually is less secure [patched] and usually has unsophisticated users.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Per snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net:

Unencumbered by any real knowledge, I'd think the opposite would be true.

To wit:

---------------------------------------------------------------

- Dialup users are seldom behind a hardware firewall, and I'd guess a substantial percent of them lack a software firewall.

- I'd think that broadband users are almost always behind a physical firewall - i.e. router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Dialup is designed to work over POTS (plain old telephone service). There are millions of analog telephones in service all over the US -- replacing copper with fiber won't change that.

With fiber in the loop, some sort of D-to-A conversion must happen before the loop hits the jack in your wall, because as far as I know, your average telephone user has no plans to replace all the handsets in his or her home. So, as long as you can draw dialtone from the RJ-11 jacks in your wall, analog modems should work.

I think at one time back in the early 90s, certain subscriber line carriers would not support modems, but I think those have been fixed.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Reply to
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.