Re: Anyone use SBC Yahoo DSL with their Access Points ? I often lose my connections.

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:46:12 -0700, Tom kingman wrote in :

I have problems with my SBC Yahoo DSL connection. The frequently have >to reboot my Speedstream modem and I LOSE connectivity between the >modem and the router that are connected to my Valuepoint Access >Points.

What _exactly_ does "LOSE connectivity" mean, and how _exactly_ do you know that? Is a cable getting unplugged? Keep the kids out of the network closet.

Who is the "the" that has to reboot the modem, and _exactly_ why? Do the status lights show the DSL link to be down?

I ordered a 2Wire 2700HG modem/router combination hoping that >will solve the issues:

Bad idea in my opinion -- all-in-one devices reduce flexibility. Best of breed is better, and I think Speedstream is a better DSL modem.

1) loss of connectivity, need to reboot the unit too often

It's hard to know what to recommend with a lot more specifics on what's actually happening.

2) default IP address of 192.168.0.1 (i dont like that others can see >this addres!)

The can't. It's a private address. What it is irrelevant to the outside world.

Since this more like a DSL problem than a wireless problem, this is cross-posted to comp.dcom.xdsl with follow-up set.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Thank you for your reply. I appreciete any help in the matter! Tom King San Diego, Calif

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:46:12 -0700, Tom kingman wrote in :

What _exactly_ does "LOSE connectivity" mean, and how _exactly_ do you know that? Is a cable getting unplugged? Keep the kids out of the network closet.

Reply:

Loss of connectivity means that users get messages "page cannot be displayed on their browsers, anto-virus and anti-spyware programs say "cant connect to remote server" for updates and programs like messenger won't connect to Internet. Basically there is no Internet access for the machines. Machines can log onto the access points but they dont have access to the Internet.

Who is the "the" that has to reboot the modem, and _exactly_ why? Do the status lights show the DSL link to be down?

Reply:

I have to turn off the power switch to the modem and restart the unit. After this the router, wired computers, and access points regain access to the Internet.

Bad idea in my opinion -- all-in-one devices reduce flexibility. Best of breed is better, and I think Speedstream is a better DSL modem.

Answer: Yes it reduces flexibility, but I hope having one device for the modem and router makes things simpler and hence more reliable.

It's hard to know what to recommend with a lot more specifics on what's actually happening.

The can't. It's a private address. What it is irrelevant to the outside world.

answer: I was able to change the default IP address to a different. I'm happier now.

Since this more like a DSL problem than a wireless problem, this is cross-posted to comp.dcom.xdsl with follow-up set.

Reply to
Tom kingman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.