Qwest DSL modem compatibility

I have a Zyxel Prestige 645 leftover from a Speakeasy RADSL line I had previously. I have moved to Qwest territory and I'm considering getting a Qwest DSL line. The salesperson today told me that (after checking with Tech Support) my Zyxel won't work; I could only use Qwest DSL modems (an Actiontec GT701-wg) with their lines.

This sounds fishy. They want $60 or so for their modem and I was hoping to save a little money. Does anyone know the real skinny on modem compatibility with Qwest DSL lines? For what it's worth, this is for

1.5mbps/896kbps DSL on non-linesharing circuit in Boise, ID.

Any help would be appreciated. If I can't use my Zyxel, I would still maybe like to use a different modem (perhaps something I can buy used on eBay) because I have my own wireless ap/router and don't need the one they've got built into their Actiontec.

Thanks for any help!

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Cohen
Loading thread data ...

Brian,

There was a discussion about that modem up on dslreports.com in the Qwest forum; you might want to check that out.

formatting link
Otherwise, you could rent the Actiontec for a while as a backup, as Bert suggested.

Regards, Bob.

Reply to
Bob

snipped-for-privacy@spam.net (Brian Cohen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Folks around here have used Cisco 678, Cisco 827 and Zoom X5 successfully. Qwest was supplying the Actiontec 1520/1524 'til they replaced it with the GT701. I've seen mention of Netopia 45412/45413 as being compatible, but I don't know anybody who is using one.

You might consider leasing the Actiontec from Qwest while you explore other options; it's only $3/month (I assume it's the same where you are), and once you've found what you want, just send it back.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Ok I've looked around and re-evaluated the situation. It does not look like my Prestige 645 is a safe bet for use with my line; I could not extract a straight answer from the dslreports thread or linked threads.

What I'm really looking for is a Qwest-compatibile DSL modem that does NOT function as a router, but only as a bridge. From what I've gathered, it must be DMT compatible, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I want something I can buy secondhand (maybe someone here has one for sale??) so I can save a few bucks.

Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Cohen

I have my own SOHO router (an SMC Barricade wireless device that's served me well). This router does not care what kind of WAN interface you hook it up to, as long as it's an ethernet interface. I've moved around a lot and had lots of different broadband connections. Here in Idaho, as in other places, I see no reason to purchase the full modem+router+wireless device when all I need is a modem/bridge to put in front of my SMC.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Cohen

Almost all Qwest compatible DSL CPE can act as a bridge, but its up to the ISP and their polices if they allow it or not. Almost all ISPs only allow routing on DSL connections now, and that is what Qwest suggests as its recommended practice to the ISPs that connect to it.

There are many downfalls to bridging and many advantages to routing for ISPs, even if bridging is simpler to setup on the customer end.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Exactly! Thanks for reading carefully :)

Reply to
Brian Cohen

Just curious; what's your application that makes that useful (or necessary)?

Around here, Qwest switched to DMT some time ago for new service. Old CAP users could keep that mode unless they needed or wanted to make some other changes. When they offered the 1.5Mbps service a few months ago for less than the old 640Kb service, I switched and had to get a DMT-capable box. I used a Cisco 678 for a while but when the GT701 was offered for so cheap, I took one.

It works as well as the 678 ever did and has wireless to boot.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

What does an application have to do with it? If he's already got a router, why does he need another one?

Reply to
NormanM

Sorry; missed that in your first post.

When I was looking for a wireless AP, I always had the opposite problem. My Cisco 675 & 678 were both perfectly good routers, but pure APs were getting harder and harder to find, and getting more and more expensive relative to the wireless routers that you could buy almost everywhere.

When the GT701 became available for $60, I just gave up and bought it.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.