Problem In Network Configuration

Hi everybody,

I've got a Win2k3 Enterprise Edition Server, with 2 NICs and an ADSL ethernet modem. NIC1 (192.168.0.1) serves the local LAN, and I just installed the second NIC to connect the ethernet modem to it. The modem manual tells that it has a default IP address (192.168.1.1), so I configured my second NIC to be in the same sunbet as the ethernet modem and gave it

My problem is that how should I configure my network to pass the internet traffic from my clients in 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.1 and vice versa?

As a try I enabled RRAS service and configured it for NAT. I added NIC1 as the private interface and NIC2 as my public interface, but just when I applied this, my clients started to work to too much slowly that they couldn't even browse their local drives! When I disabled the RRAS service, everything got normal again!!

What am I doing wrong here?

Reply to
Tyler
Loading thread data ...

| Hi everybody, | | I've got a Win2k3 Enterprise Edition Server, with 2 NICs and an ADSL | ethernet modem. | NIC1 (192.168.0.1) serves the local LAN, and I just installed the | second NIC to connect the ethernet modem to it. The modem manual tells | that it has a default IP address (192.168.1.1), so I configured my | second NIC to be in the same sunbet as the ethernet modem and gave it | 192.168.1.2. | | My problem is that how should I configure my network to pass the | internet traffic from my clients in 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.1 and vice | versa? | | As a try I enabled RRAS service and configured it for NAT. I added NIC1 | as the private interface and NIC2 as my public interface, but just when | I applied this, my clients started to work to too much slowly that they | couldn't even browse their local drives! When I disabled the RRAS | service, everything got normal again!! | | What am I doing wrong here?

First, is this a DSL Modem or is it a DSL Modem+Router ? If it is a Modem+Router, is it in Gateway mode (modem only) or Router mode ?

What is its Vendor, Make and Model ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Hi Dave,

It's a modem+router, and is set to 'Multimode' in its configuration console, section 'ADSL Mode', by default. It's a Huawei SmartAX MT800 ADSL Router.

Reply to
Tyler

| Hi Dave, | | It's a modem+router, and is set to 'Multimode' in its configuration | console, section 'ADSL Mode', by default. | It's a Huawei SmartAX MT800 ADSL Router. |

If it is in Router mode, you do NOT need the Win2003 server to be multi-homed.

If the modem+router has only one RJ-45 port, get an inexpensive Ethernet switch and connect the Win2003 server and all workstations to the switch. Disable the second NIC.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.