OK Newbie here, and very confused

I signed up for SBC Yahoo DSL and been searching about hooking up a router. Ques 1. What would be the good to best router to buy to hook up 3 computers.

Ques 2. What are the best ethernet card to have / or required.

Ques 3. I have been finding many reports on not using there, SBC, software to install the DSL, or there web page, what is the best way to get around this with out there web page on the computer.

Ques 4. Is there one site that would explain all of this to me so I don't have to bother all of you here????????????

Reply to
bdeditch
Loading thread data ...

Check out the reviews at the web page suggested in question #4. Myself I have used 4 port DLink and Linksys with little problems, but then I have had good luck with both brands.

You might want to consider one of those that doubles as a print server so that the multiple computers you mentioned can share a printer with out having to keep an extra computer powered on all the time.

I have found that unless I needed to use some special feature, such as booting from an Ethernet ROM, that the cheapest cards work just as fast for me as the more expensive ones.

I'll let others make suggestions on this one.

Give this site a look over. The reviews and advice there has helped me many times.

formatting link

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

I've had good success with my ZyXEL ZyWALL2.

Whatever you can find. I've had good luck with 3Com stuff, but it tends to be a bit more expensive than some of the clone stuff. Key is to make sure that whatever you buy is supported by the OS you plan on using.

Using a router should allow you to configure it to manage the PPPoE connection that SBC uses. I've heard horror stories about the things that SBC's install CD have done to the configurations of folks PC's so I would avoid using it at all cost.

Reply to
James T. White

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Thanks for all of the great info. I talked today to tech support at SBC and they even said don't use there web browser if you don't have to.

Reply to
bdeditch

What's cheapest at wally world?

ethernet is ethernet. At the speeds dsl provides it doesn't make a lot of difference.

call tech support the day after your due date and tell them you need to install without using the cd.

there's a lot of it at

formatting link
(now
formatting link

Just a note for all: Speedstream 4100 modems will shortly be shipped in place of the 5100b. Biggest difference: the reset button is on the back next to the power switch.

second note: 6.0 install cds are already shipping, software install now follows registration.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.